Replacement router

Hi,

Wondering if anyone can help, as I'm a complete noob when it comes to routers...

I have a BT Business Hub 5, and it's starting to randomly disconnect and re-connect all the time, BT just take me through the "have you tried turning it on and off again BS" and say my line is fine, however it does sound like it's your router... You can have a new one sent to you for £100 (same one).

Sooo, now Im on the hunt for a decent router. I have 4 wi-fi devices, 3 connect on the 2.4ghz band and 1 on the 5ghz band.

This router constantly disconnects if I have FTP set to use max bandwidth and if I am using team viewer.

What do you guys recommend? Nothing too tech geek out, reasonable price and will get the job done and done well?

Thanks

My first recommendation is always PFsense on an old pc and a Ubiquiti Ac lite or Pro. For your environment a lite would do just fine.
If you want something that i personally have run and actually am running at work for internet for our two mechanic offices is this one. Serves about ten people wirelessly on average.

You will want to follow this and bridge your modem.
https://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/35226/~/how-do-i-enable-bridge-mode-on-my-bt-business-hub-5%3F/c/5098/

1 Like

The BT router is modem also, is the archer a modem also? As the BT business hub needs to be thrown in the bin.

What's your price range?

£1 to £100 - Amazon UK is where I will order it from

You will put the bt modem in bridge mode i gave you a link on my reply. The TP-link is just a router/access point. Let me know if you need any help.

The BT Business Hub is loosing connection all the time, (I don't loose wi-fi connections), which is why I need to put it in the bin.

I have 4 devices connected via wi-fi, my work computer is connected via the LAN cable.

Copy ill see what i can round up for you. Possibly if you put in bridge mode it would fix it but I understand not a chance you want to take.

1 Like

Looks like it will have to have:

• A router or firewall which is capable of establishing a PPPOE session, using the username and password we've given you.
  • If an engineer installed an Openreach modem as part of your fibre installation, your router will need an Ethernet WAN port to connect to LAN1 on the Openreach Modem.
  • If we've recently installed your fibre, the Business Hub 5 does away with the need for a separate Openreach modem so your router will need an approved, integrated VDSL modem

Which is... Ye... Right... Googling, look for the stat name, make sure it's in product description, hope there is a box for it in settings :stuck_out_tongue: lol

If you need a vdsl compatible modem router for under 100 than you out of luck from what I can see might be better off either buying a cheap $30 wireless router and bridging that modem to see if that fixes your issue then later can by a better router. Or by another bt business hub.

If you like I can throw this to another team, but I cant guarantee a better resolution, they are better at their job though. How long have you had the router?

There is stuff in the works for a new version i'll have a look. But if im honest i've not been a fan of these hubs, v5 is no exception.

If your budget was over £100 id have an excellent modem for you the Draytek 130 is absolutely rock solid, then you just need a router/wifiAP on it. (hense over £100 as the modem alone is 70-80)

I have a Draytek 130 + pfsense firewall + separate WiFi AP setup.

1 Like

Another team?

I've had the router about 2+ years. They replaced the last one. Oddly it's held its connection today so far...

I don't do anything exceptional or need any special, maybe I could use this BT wifi thing for the wireless side rather than the connection side as that's the part it has trouble doing but the wifi is fine.

I been through about 30 or 40 different products on amazon uk, checking out the 5 star, 3 star and the 1 star reviews.. Either very balanced (odd) or a love hate high count...

Odd that there's no easy solution for this, but then again each ISP does tend to give everyone a free router when you sign up.

The hunt goes on.....

BT have an internal team that customer issues can be passed on to if normal channels aren't working.

I forgot about this, yes you should be able to use the hub as a router/AP only and get a new modem as that's the main issue your having.

I recommend the Draytek 130 if you do go in that direction. Its worth the cost for a solid connection.

I think I just got my hands on a new BT Business Hub for around £10 :slight_smile:

Well... To have this information on the internet is a good thing... So here's my update:

I got 2 new still sealed in box BT Business Hub 5 routers, and all was great for a while.... The software update is driven by the BT network so you have no control over when or how that takes place but after it finally decided to update itself it was ok for about a week, now I am back to the same problem as before...

I called BT and they can't find any problems with the line etc and will send out an engineer, and warned me that the engineer may charge me £200+ for a call out and they find the problem is on my property (outside cables and included).

I've noticed that the connection drops a lot more on weekends than it does on week days, but if I have FTP set to use max down and up speeds (no restrictions), I can get the connection to drop consistently.

I also decided to try something and disconnect all my wi-fi devices (5 of them - security cam, 2 mobiles & 2 tablets), basically just reset the router to factory settings and all was fine, but as soon as I renamed the wifi back to it's previous name and set the old password up so everything could connect again, modem disconnections were happening again. And this being a fault on an out of contract (not under warranty = out of contract) router/modem this would cost me £200+ for an engineer to come out and say it's the routers fault when he can't work out why the connection drops.

Sooo... I just cancelled the engineer... And now ordering the DrayTek Vigor 2850AC from Amazon....

Will update this thread with more information when I try it and get settled with it, so that it may help someone in future.

2 Likes