Repair Job

What general area do you live in? I have the skills, iron, and heatshrink to fix this. Yeah the flat rate box both ways might cost you what a cheap iron would but theres no way a decent iron, and heat shrink would be cheaper than that.

I wont charge you anything, just cover your shipping.

So this is actually a super easy fix!

Headphones require very little power, and as such you can use a very small gauge (20+gauge) to carry the power! The only reason to have thicker wire is to be more durable, but that can be fixed with sleeving. My point is that if you have ANY length of wire that would be long enough, a soldering iron, and some time, you are good to go! Basically all you need to do is to disassemble the ear piece to get to the circuit board. Desolder the wire from the board, and just resolder a new wire to it. If you want to reuse the old cable, you absolutely can! Simply strip back enough wire to feed into it, and do exactly that. Note wire colors for polarity as this is what makes the headphones left/right. If you really want to get creative, you can even make your own cable by simply taking 3 strands of wire and twisting them together with a drill (search YouTube on this, super easy).

I actually made my own headphones that I use at work (I work in a shop) because of how easy it was, and how I couldn’t find ANYTHING that met my requirements (Good noise isolation, removable cable, comfy, decent sound). I took a $15 pair of monoprice headphones which had a removable cable with decent sound, and a pair of $15 ear muffs that were comfy with great noise isolation, combined them with some custom wiring, and BAM! Perfect noise isolating headphones! The point is that cable repair on a good pair of headphones you love is a super easy job!

1 Like

Mississippi. I took a gander at the internal wiring the last time I worked on these and didnt want to screw anything up so didnt touch it.
One Idea I had was to have the dual cable method like really high end headphones but again didnt want to screw anything up.

Dual cable is kinda a waste, unless you are purely doing it for aesthetics. The whole reason behind having two cables is that each speaker is balanced, as in has its own ground/positive/neutral line. MOST headphones (and amps) have a shared ground, so unless you have the amp to handle this and are willing to wire up and balance your headphones, I would suggest saving yourself the headache and time to just stick with a single cable.

Honestly though, headphones are really simple when you get right down to the basics: there really isn’t anything to ‘screw up’ outside of breaking plastic clips or something (which is easily fixed with some super glue).

yeah, I kinda figured it was a waste of time and too much hassle anyway.

I mean for how inexpensive those are ($30ish?), what do you really have to lose on trying to fix them yourself?

$30? you are kidding right? Try more like $70 MSRP

Amazon has them at $32 of course because its on sale. But again, why replace good cans for a broken cable. I already attempted a fix myself and it didnt take. Not to mention Im taking shit from my coworkers over these headphones. “You should buy Beats” Or " Why’d you buy those? You just trying to look cool by getting expensive headphones?"
Honestly, sometimes I just want to use some of the combatives training on them. Im a Libertarian surrounded by diehard hard-left Liberal Democrats and all I hear all day is either liberal shit or ragging on me for anything they can come up with. If I can repair these cans, at least they will shut up about my choice of headphones. (maybe)

I’m in IL, so not too far away. might be cheaper by not using flat rate.

Ill have our shipping dept figure out the difference. We ship Fedex/UPS/etc they can tell me what it would run me. Just PM me an address to send it to.

usps is going to be cheapest im pretty sure. just not the fastest.

Amazon says otherwise at $32.79. “Sale” or not, trust me when I say that is what they are really worth, and likely won’t go back up in price.

Point is, I just saw your other thread, and here is the thing: Yes, you can make them have a removable cable for less than $10 if you want to put in the effort, though looking at the design of those it may prove somewhat difficult to find the spacing to fit the jack (not much internal room to work with). So yes, it is possible though I’m not sure how much experience you have with fabricating stuff. On the front of going wireless, you could buy a bluetooth dongle off amazon for dirt cheap ($20?), though my experience with those is that battery life is about half of what is advertised with questionable quality. For inexpensive cans like those (and yes, I do consider even $70 inexpensive), then I would just say solder on a new wire and be done with it. Again, I’m not saying ‘hey cable is broken, just buy a new one’, rather that for cheap headphones (again, yes those are on the cheaper end, regardless of what you initially bought them for), you really have nothing to lose by just going at it and trying to solder the cables back together.

Also, for your stupid friends who think Beats are good, there is nothing you can do about them. They are a lost cause, so just ignore and laugh at them for being foolish sheep. I’m not saying just because the Samson headphones are cheap that they are bad because I use some Samson products myself. Just know that they are on the cheaper side of the audio spectrum and often skimp on build quality at times, but deliver 90% of the audio of higher end products. Beats are inverse: They cost as much as high end audio equipment, but deliver the audio experience and build quality of headphones that you can buy from the dollarstore.

1 Like

Amazon is about the only place you will find them at $32.

The 668B is the direct comparison because the same OEM. They are identical aside from headbands and cabling. Yet, the 668B is ~$50 on Amazon. Sometimes I wish I had splurged and gotten eh 668Bs

If you want to preserve those headphones and want the removable jack, just take them to an electronic repair shop. I am sure that you have someone in town who can do it. As @WolfStrong said it is not hard. I would do it for you, but I am in the far upper West Coast of the US. You would just need to provide the materials (cables, headphones, connectors.)