Remote MySQL access

Hi folks,

I have a Freenas server running a VM jail with Ubuntu and MySQL. I have written a Vb.net application that uses the freenas file server and MySQL database. My quest now is to be able to access the db remotely.

In the current configuration ssl is not enabled and I extremely reluctant to connect without some level of encryption. I have tried to configure ssl certs without much luck. I am notwwondering if there is a better option to host the DB. I had looked at something like turnkey Linux as a stack that supports ssl out of the box.

I would appreciate any tips or pointers.

Regards

write a small NodeJS app to query the database locally but use SSL on the outside. thats what i would do. but that would require you to do some work on the application by having it utilize HTTPS calls instead of direct SQL

Thanks!

I fear that would take weeks in learning a new language and rewriting the .net application. If possible I would like to keep everything within the .net framework / connector.

then that limits your options. i assume you are comfortable with port forwarding from the outside world. but unless you get the MySQL sever SSL conf working then you wont have anything. are you sending any data that is "sensitive" over the net?

The last time I tried it, getting SSL enabled on MySQL was a pain in the butt. But in my vague recollection, I may be mixing up getting SSL enabled, and getting various applications that work with MySQL to be SSL enabled.

Can MySQL just run on the system where your VB.net application is running?

Suppose I better find a way to get ssl working then. There is nothing majorly sensitive other than some clients emails and social security numbers etc, No banking or credit card details.

@Levitance Unfortunately, that's not an option as the db serves 4 people in the office on different machines

well SSN is something that is sensitive lol

1 Like

i think you misunderstand what qualifies as "sensitive"

ssn + email is basically an entire identity. you can't get more sensitive.