Remote, encrypted backup (like Synology)

Been watching Linus Tech Tips and it reminded me of this project. I want to be able to back up to a friend’s computer over the internet.

Needs to work on Windows and support client side encryption. Decent crypto, full obfuscation of file names etc.

I think Crashplan let’s you do it, but it’s closed source and a bit rubbish. Are there any good solutions out there?

LTT is for rich people …

Friend’s computer? His everyday PC? it must be a really good friend …
Acronis True Image 2020… Create a copy encrypted aes-256, then for paranoia purposes insert into the veracrypt encrypted(aes-twofish-serpent) container then send the file to a friend’s computer using encrypted FTP (ftps / TLS).

Check out restic. It encrypts repositories by default and you can set up remote and local repositories. Obviously you’ll need some transfer protocol with a server running on your friend’s PC, you could use ssh or the inbuilt REST server.

1 Like

I have heard good things about Duplicati, although my internet speed is too slow for me to upload a backup in a reasonable time so I don’t use it myself.

1 Like

LTT did the backup to a “friends” ( actually it was Jake, and employee ) NAS ( and identical Synology NAS ).

And they were using software provided ( downloaded from Synology ) by them.

Yes it allowed encryption on Linus’s side and Jake couldn’t even open the folder ( IIRC ) without the password ( don’t know what the encryption level is ). And they did it on Windows.

Don’t know if it will work if the receiving end is a non-Synology NAS. So it may not work with some other “random” NAS.

Anything that requires a Synology NAS is a fail, it needs to work with whatever hardware people have.

Duplicati looks good. The block system is the way to go and it’s cross platform. If it works as described it should be perfect! Thanks.

1 Like