Reliability and longevity when using 3960x/3970x for 1-72hr cpu-intensive tasks

Does anyone have experience (or info about) regularly running TR 3960x or 3970x at near 100% utilisation for long tasks - 1-72hrs at a time?

I’m choosing between TR 3960x and Epyc 7302p for my workstation. TR is better in terms of raw performance so I’d pick that over Epyc 7302p. But my main concern is whether TR is suitable for 100% all-core utilisation for upto 72hrs at a time. Server parts are designed with that in mind, but TR being a consumer part, I don’t know if it is.

If anyone has used a 3960x/3970x regularly with these kinds of workloads (100% utilisiation for upto 72hrs at a time) - I’d really appreciate a comment about your experience. Do you experience crashes? Freezing? Throttling? Any other comment about TR usage vs Epyc for these workloads? Many thanks!!!

It will just throttle worst case not sure what your question really is. As long as you can dump the heat away (if you cant you will throttle) and arent on some crazy manual OC you should have zero issues with long term high performance.

2 Likes

yeah I have a 65w cpu with a 150w cooler, I also put a thermal limit in my bios of 55°c, you can also disable turbo
also there is governor’s limits as 3.7 or 3.9 as your speed limit per core or all cores

TR is a workstation part, I would not worry about the CPU, but the motherboard, specifically the VRMs. Any of the workstation-looking boards should be just fine though.

Could get quite warm in the room with a high-end TR system chugging along.

Thanks. Good timing, I just found a thread about stability issues with avx2 workloads on TR likely due to motherboard power delivery issues: See the thread titled “amd-threadripper-3970x-under-heavy-avx2-load-defective-design-no-but-there-is-an-issue/”

For MB i’m thinking Asrock TRX40 creator, which I think counts as a workstation-looking board?

From what I remember, the thread concluded a Gigabyte specific problem.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.