Regretting my Mac mini and Mac studio purchase, 1 month later

So Ive recently been using the Mac studio for work and a Mac mini for home use, and honestly I think I’ve wasted quite a lot of money… the Mac was nice when I first got them but now they just feel so restrictive, I have to use docker containers to even get any work done as OpenFOAM has no M1 builds, although at least preview works great, but still miss things such as NVIDIA INDEX.

planning on sending both these machines back and going 5800X3D until TR PRO 5000 is out and can upgrade my Thinkstation P620.

6 Likes

You seem like you might have the problem that you want to buy whatever is new this month :upside_down_face:

I’d strongly suggest a look at the 5800X3D benchmarks before spending your money, it seems pretty hugely disappointing to me, and explains why they haven’t bothered to make any other X3D processor variants - you only see benefit from the cache in the most contrived low resolution gaming benchmarks.

Given the fact you’ve been using Macs I’m going to guess gaming isn’t very important to you!

But yeah, this is the reality of the Mac ecosystem. If they do what you want them to do, great. Trying to get them to do something else, not so great…

10 Likes

The good news is that Apple products have a relatively high resale value… So there is that consolation.

7 Likes

Uh, yeah, M1 support aint the greatest in the tech space yet for IT work. You didn’t check toolchain/software compatibility before hand?

6 Likes

This is strictly gaming CPU that AMD markets as gaming CPU for gamers who play games.
You want work done - keep your insanely overpriced Mac’s and hold on for the threadrippers. Buying what is essentially 5800X with lower clocks and extra cache won’t help you when you want threadripper.
Or depending on your workload maybe 5950X may be better investment for now. It is still 16 cores, altho the platform may not be the best.
In any case, I wouldn’t buy 5800X3D for work…

2 Likes

I still have my TR 3945WX im back on for the first time in a few weeks and man it feels nice to be able to get work done. The Mac Mini and Studio are/were nice machines but had to jump through so many hoops to get there, and was a HUGE pain to get work done. Fortunately i can send my M1 Mini back along with the keyboard and mouse for around $900 and my Mac Studio can be returned to the apple store and get a full refund for that and put the money into things for my Thinkstation P620 for work and buy a small dedicated quiet PC for my desk to replace my M1 Mini.

2 Likes

Yeah why the OP bought overpriced garbage, I’ll never know. Macs…:nauseated_face:

Because i sold a spare RTX A6000 that paid a good 90% of my mac studio anyway and since i loved my mac mini m1 at the time i got it, i decided to just go and get one.

at least now im back on my Thinkstation and on Windows again and able to do work

2 Likes

as much as I dislike Windows at times, it has been my daily driver since DOS.

1 Like

Nothing really wrong with liking macs; just seems like OP didn’t quite do enough research beforehand

Edit:

Also, M1is literally best in class for quite a number of things

2 Likes

Oh I don’t really dislike any computer system, but Macs are the devil.

1 Like

I bought a Mac when Apple switched to Intel in like 2007 or so. Had about the same experiences, cool for a month or two…felt restrictive even back then. I don’t regret it…it was a interesting experience. But we parted and both the Mac and I had a great life afterwards with partners that fit way better.

3 Likes

You sound like me. A while ago I got an email from Amazon which I’m sure was automated, but obviously I had passed some kind of threshold to trigger it.

Hey, we notice you’ve been returning a lot of stuff lately. Everything ok?

Craaaaaaap. They’re on to me. :rofl:

4 Likes

I don’t think that’s a fair representation of why games are benchmarked the way they are. If you’re only looking at 60 fps gaming then yeah anything above or more recent than Ivy Bridge is probably sufficient. If 720p is what it takes to actually stop your GPU from limiting your framerate and actually hit your high refresh display – some go above 300 Hz now – then so be it. It’s not contrived to see what a CPU is actually capable of when it’s not being held back by your graphics card, and actually given that DLSS now supports rendering at 720p and upscaling to 4K this isn’t even an uncommon use case. I think it’s reasonable to look at how the current CPUs stack up against eachother and use that as a rough gauge to how they might age when games become more intensive too.

i liked MACs UNTIL they went intel.

honestly the OP could grab a faster 3000 series TR CPU and hold out for AM5.

1 Like

I already have a TR PRO 3945 system im back on now and packed the mac mini and studio away to get refuneded tommorow, and going to spend the money i get back to upgrade my p620 to a 5975wx

1 Like

that is my point exactly, you already have a 3945. and the ThreadRipper platform is essentially dead. why get a entire 5975 system for one generation when AM5 will be out this year.

1 Like

need the PCI Lanes and memory really as i run an A100, RTX A4000, 2x NVME RAID Cards in my p620 + some Capture cards, AM5 wouldnt have the lanes amd bandwidth id need really.

AM5 is DDR5 plus will have up to 32 pcie gen 4 lanes from the CPU, as well as more (maybe double that?) from the chipset.

the entire reason why the ThreadRipper stuff is going away is that the desktop stuff is catching it.

1 Like

I do scientific computing every day and I can tell you that the difference between Zen 2 and Zen 3 is likely negligible for whatever it is you do. If you regret your mac purchase, I suspect you will regret that too.

@Zedicus is right - and if not “AM5” then “Zen 4”. DDR5 and PCI5.0 will be a more substantial improvement than Zen 2 to Zen 3. But in any case, I’d recommend putting the brakes on buying things for a little while? If you are buying things and immediately regretting them then that should be a sign…

3 Likes