Reconfigure home network

I was hoping to put a call out for a home networking Coach. I have a pile of hardware to set up a PFSense router, switches, etc. to reconfigure my network.

I tend to get lost in setting up switches & LANs. side.

Any Takers? PM me please.

Pfsense is surprisingly easy to setup.

I am no network expert but I can offer some guidance, and I know that there are many here who know more than I do, as my own pfsense issues were resolved with assistance from lvl 1 members.

This video is the one I found the most useful for getting my head around the initial install and setup of pfsense.

Beyond that I cannot offer much more until you say what it is you want to do, or what it is you’re having difficulty doing.

In general; you want pfsense running exclusively on a machine, you’ll want a min of 2 nics; 1 for WAN, 1 for LAN. If you’re running a more complex topology with VLANS etc then that is where you’ll need more guidance from others - I do not use VLANs, yet. During initial setup you can assign the WAN/LAN interfaces, the LAN IP and if you’re really into the details the DHCP spooling.

Once you’re at the web gui, let us know what’s up, and what your goals are.

Goals?

I recommend this series. : https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLK5UbXq39iVlrZN3LuXkgp0rQHfv-VVVY

:slight_smile:

1 Like

I recommend drawing a diagram of what you want and post it here. Not really interested in being your private tutor, but if it can be done publicly for others to reference, I’m happy to help out.

FIrst thing. i have a linksys srw2048 switch. can i swap the firmware on it for something else?

Like this?

1 Like

google it, thats what any of us are going to do.

I am Googling as well. I was hoping that i could have someone on hand if i need a fill gap.

Crap I think my PFSense box is 32bit… do i rip the netgate adi?

The video series gives you a great starting point for all the basics, which you can tweak further from info online or asking any of us.

I Have Voyo V1 Im trying to put pfsense on it but the sdcard reader is making it sh*t the bed. then when i go to the bios itls totally locked out. no chipset options, nothing.