Recommended Video File Tag Editing Software

Just wondering what recommended video file tag editing software to use.

For audio, I’m using like 4 (ish, idk), but I’m not really sure what to use for video.

I’m fairly certain Adobe Bridge handles this well. IDK if you have that as an option though.

Depends on the video files as well.

Mp3tag can handle MP4 and MKV files just fine, since they are also used as pure audio containers.

I guess it depends on what you’re looking for exactly.

@Derbshey I’m not sure if you’re still looking for recommendations.

(also, re: the usage data, you can opt out in the settings)

Yeah, sorry about that.
I gave that a shot, and for some reason, what I was looking for never came up. I guess I’m going to have to do more digging into it. I have a bunch of stuff I gotta do.

Okay, just wanted to see if you had solved it.

If I come up with anything else, I’ll let you know.

It’s weird, because I have some audio files I ripped from YouTube from quite a while back, and for some reason, some video applications can see/detect video thumbnail artwork, even though it was an audio rip. And for some reason, I can’t seem to find it in the file, or have an application pin point exactly where it is in the file so I can edit it. Seems like the applications will only display it. It’s not cached either.

Hm weird indeed. The only thing I could think of are hidden files, but I think you mentioned removing them all.

What kind of files are they? It might be an actual videostream too.

Newer YT-rippers just embed an album art into the tag I think.

You can embed album art in an audio file. Not sure where it stores it. What did you use to rip it?

I’m just making an assumption here, but he did use mp3tag earlier so I would assume it was checked with that, and it has never failed me to show album art (yet).

Some type of online convert and download thing, can’t remember exactly

Just MP3s

If it helps, I only noticed this while in Ubuntu using the “Videos” and “Rhythmbox” applications.

Does it also show in other programs? One other idea might be that the downloader stored the YouTube adress in the comment field and the player pulls the thumbnail from there? Seems unlikely but I can’t think of much else.

Did you check with mp3tag if it’s an embedded artwork?

Yeah, mpv as well

It’s not there

Not sure how to do that

OMFG I got it!!!

Used Rhythm box to locate it
All I did was open it up in Rhythm Box, selected “Properties”, and then the “Album Art” tab.

This is so weird though. MP3Tag, and all the other programs I used did NOT detect it.

How? Why?

edit- Damn it. Even after clearing it out in Rhythmbox, the “Videos” and “mpv” applications still display the image.

1 Like

Hm, that’s weird… but it’s probably not an embedded image then.

Can you load the file in mp3tag, right-click there and open the Extended tags and see if it is in there maybe?

For example, I have a file like this:

Other then that I couldn’t think of anything else how it would make the connection between the file and youtube.

Yeah it’s not there.
I can’t either. But if something comes to mind, feel free to let me know.