Recommended Bluetooth Adapters for Linux?

Just wondering what Bluetooth adapters can be recommended for out of the box Linux compatibility (if there are any).

Any Intel WiFi / Bluetooth combo cards work out the box in Linux so I recommend those.

@FaunCB Know any that work out of the box for OS X/macOS and Linux as well?

Is this for a laptop or a desktop.

Desktop

Though I don’t see how that matters

Ok what motherboard do you have? Can it support a laptop wifi chip? Or are you looking for a USB solution.

Asus Z87-WS

I suppose it can, though it would have to use an adapter.
I feel like a USB solution is the most ideal for my situation though I am open for other options.

Theres other stuff out there, like just plain adapters, but one of these will do, one being an adapter with a free chip lol. I’d get an adapter and do a AC chip that has BT. I don’t trust USB for that sorta thing I wan tit basically built in.

Trying to find one with an Atheros chip

Tech specs aren’t being friendly

I mean I have broadcom chips that I use for BT that work fine, its just the wifi ones that are shit.

Looks like I’ll have to take your word on it. I’m not seeing any Atheros results. I just generally stay away from Qualcomm because I’ve had horrid experience with them using a WiFi card that had one of their chips.

1 Like

Stick with asus and you’ll probs be fine. If nothing else get a PCIe cradle and an intel chip.

nah their drivers can be complete shit
I have my eye on a StarTech one at the moment (just because they seem somewhat reasonably reliable)

Bruh in linux you don’t have to worry about that just install bluez and it has a generic driver it modprobe’s in.

Atheros is Qualcomm, FYI.

We’re well aware.

People aren’t mind readers. Your earlier posts indicated that you’re looking for an Atheros chip but don’t want Qualcomm. w.meri just pointed out that this is impossible.

1 Like

Because some laptops are locked at the firmware to only allow specific chips.

I don’t know why your bothering with an Atheros chip. Your far better off not wasting your time and just getting an Intel chip and PCI adapter if required.

1 Like

https://www.amazon.com/DayKit-Bluetooth-Adapter-Windows-Raspberry/dp/B01IM8YKPW/

I got a few of these which works great with Linux. As far as Mac. the page says:

“Q: Will this work with Mac OS X system?
A: Unfortunately, no. All recent Mac computers are designed to work with their built-in adapters, and won’t work with this one.”

The good thing about USB is you can move the adapter away from the computer a bit to get better range. USB 3 ports cause interference on the 2.4GHZ band, so Bluetooth and wifi adapters within a few inches will get a lot of interference. It also helps to get it out from behind your hardware. I use a 2’ extension to get my adapter on top of my TV.

I also did some mods. I didn’t like the blue LED flashing so I removed it. I also took an antenna from an old wireless router, scraped away the PCB antenna, and added in the new antenna. That little mod gave me quite a bit more range. I can now go 30+ feet with a few walls in between before it starts to cut out on me. Eventually I will add a better antenna to another one of those adapters, and to my headset, so I can set one up in the middle of my property and have full coverage.

You can find the same adapter from China for much cheaper, and much longer delivery time. I was impatient and the Amazon price was quite reasonable. I’ve been quite impressed with how well my dirt cheap Bluetooth setup has worked for me. I’ve got $25 headphones, a $15 Bluetooth transceiver stuck to the headphones with a Command double-sided tape strip, and the above linked ~$6 Bluetooth adapter.

Assuming before Atheros was bought by Qualcomm

There are Atheros chips being sold to this day.
example: https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Wireless-PCI-Express-Adapter-TL-WDN4800/dp/B007GMPZ0A