Recommended 4U CPU Heatsink For Threadripper Pro 3995WX or 5995WX (64 Core/280 W)

Hello,

My company is building a 64 core Threadripper Pro (3995WX (or 5995WX if our system builder can get the CPU on launch day)), and I was curious what air CPU heatsink you would all recommend?

The case for the system will be the following Supermicro chassis : SuperChassis 747BTQ-R2K04B

…which includes optional rack rails, and will be oriented horizontally (in a 4U rackmount configuration + plus I’ll be adding an additional Supermicro rear fan kit for additional air cooling).

Unfortunately, the system will be running 24x7 and in a hot lab for many years with extremely expensive hardware, so a water cooling setup is not allowed, as a leak would result in $100,000 to $200,000 of damage (plus we all work remotely - and no one wants to be responsible for having to drain a custom loop or even the possible leak associated with an AIO - as the system is ~$62,000.00).

I’ve seen some system builders (like Puget Systems) recommend/use the Supermicro SNK-P0064AP4 (which lists a supported TDP of 280W - though some other sites lists the TDP at 180W).

This would be perfect (given that it fits in a 4U case, and was qualified by Supermicro to work), but when I actually asked Supermicro themselves, they recommended the following heatsink : SNK-P0066AP4

…which lists a supported TDP of 80W (plus the picture is of a CoolerMaster CPU heatsink).

Note: After speaking to a Supermicro representative, they stated that the SNK-P0066AP4 is indeed the CoolerMaster Wraith Ripper (which I’m certain won’t be able to handle a 64 core 280W CPU running 24x7 very well). Also, they stated that the listed socket and TDP were wrong on their site (which is pretty concerning coming from Supermicro).

For now I think the 280W SNK-P0064AP4 is my best option (as a larger Noctua won’t fit in the 4U case), but just wanted to check with someone else if they had a recommendation.

I also recently found the following 300W SP3 cooler: Freezer 4U SP3

…which might fight in a 4U chassis (as some 4U chassis have a motherboard tray that causes the Freezer 4U SP3 not to fit - I personally don’t know if the Supermicro chassis has a motherboard tray, so I’m not certain if it will fit). Furthermore, there’s nothing as far as real review data of the Freezer 4U SP3 (other than a single youtube video - where the presenter was unable to fit the Freezer 4U SP3 in his 4U chassis (with a motherboard tray)).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Nelson

Hi
As I have been down this road already I can chip in.
The supermicro cooler is the only one that will work in a 4U chassis and provide enough cooling.
It is also the only cooler that fits a Threadripper Pro and points in the right direction
They are very hard to get hold of at the moment though so order well in advance.
Actually much cheaper and quicker to order direct from the Chinese manufacturer on ebay. I think it is tactually he same part and not a copy…
If you are in the UK I can sell you mine, as I decided to build a new tower. I never installed it so can’t vouch for how loud it is, but no louder than the rest of the ShouterMicro!
I also tried the Dark Rock TR4 before going with the Noctua 14. The Dark Rock external fan only goes inwards, can’t be face mounted to suck. And the dark rock covers the whole RAM area so you can’t put a fan underneath it as it blocks the top PCIe slot

A point about the 747 case.
I managed to get the Asus WRX80 motherboard into it, but I had to really squeeze it in and couldn’t get a screw into the top left hole.
The problem is that the pre-attached IO housing is just too big to fit under the Back fans that stick INTO the case.
It will go in, but it scratches the IO box
That top left hole is really dodgy (Asus wrx80) you need to make sure it is all the way through as it gets stuck halfway then bends the motherboard otherwise.

I took a sheet of paper and marked the holes in the motherboard then put that into the Chassis, in order to get the stand offs in correct place.

Also the manual is a bit confusing, but the Asus motherboard works with standard power cables, so work with the include PDU.
2 PCIe 6 pin and 1 PCIe 8 pin, just like you use for a GPU.
The Supermicro only has 4 6+8 cables though, and you wouold need an extension cable if you were just using one, as the 8 pin port is nowhere near the two 6 pin ones.
That would leave 3 x 8+6 PCIe cables for GPUs
You might need to upgrade the PSU. 1600W ones are quite cheap, and 200W ones are only about £50 on ebay.
Oh hang on, you have the 200W already.
That has an ATX PSU doesn’t it, so might be easier if you need more outputs?
You can just get the SATA cables in, but again a bit tricky.
Easiest if you feed cables under the fans.
And you do know that the additional fan kit is for passive GPU only and you can’t plug any cables into them then?

You won’t get the 5955WX for at least 6 months, as it is Lenovo only and they are locked to Lenovo, unless you are removing a Lenovo motherboard, which is pointless as they are rack mountable anyway.

Tris

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.