Recommendations of true HBA Controllers for ZFS on HP Gen8 servers

Hey everyone,

I have a couple servers, an HP DL380p Gen8 and HP DL360p Gen8.

On the DL380p I’m running TrueNAS Core with a HP P822 controller running in HBA mode, which has been running great. Although people seem to not like this controller as it apparently doesn’t run in as a true HBA, would love to know of ways to validate this.

Anyway, on the other side I have the DL360p which I use for compute mostly and it has been headache, mostly because of the P420i controller.
If it’s in HBA mode, I can’t boot from the drives connected to it.
If I use it normal raid mode, the performance is horrible. (Using mostly SSDs for now)

So, I’m looking for an HBA controller that would meet the following:

• Have IT firmware so they run as a pure HBA.
  • Support booting from the drives connected to it on these Proliant Gen8 servers.
  • Has decent performance with SSDs.

From my research, I’ve found mentions to LSI SAS3008 based models, such as IBM/Lenovo M1215 - Has 12Gbs ports and seems to have good performance with SSDs. I can’t find it for less then around 120€. (Europe Union only)

Do you have other recommendations?
( I want Sata 3 compatibility, to be able to use consumer SSDs)

Could you share how you booted TrueNAS with the HP P822? I have an HP DL380e g8 and I put the P822 in HBA, I did the normal installation of Truenas, but it doesn’t boot after restarting. With the P420i same thing.

What are you booting from? USB drive? A single disk? An array of disks? Typically for HP controllers you select a primary boot volume or disk from the controller’s bios if you’re booting from that controller.

I’m not, I boot into FreeNAS using 2 USB drives in Raid 1.

The P822 is used exclusively to grant access to the drives and is in HBA mode.

Not booting from it, its acting as an HBA currently.
FreeNAS boots from 2 USB drives in Raid 1.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.