Recommendations for Open Source Software Alternatives

I have been experimenting with Pop!_OS in recent weeks in anticipation to switch from Windows as my main operating system.

I am investigating FOSS alternatives to some of my most used software which is the following:

• Dashlane (Password Manager): For password maintenance and security.
  • RDP/Windows Remote Desktop: While I do love ssh, I use RDP a lot for work.
  • Dashlane VPN: Secure, anonymous web browsing.

While I have come across solutions that look interesting (KRDC, OpenVPN, etc), I wanted to see if there was anything that the community would recommend. I would love to hear thoughts.

1 Like

we have a massive thread about this already

Edit:

Found it:

3 Likes

I use Bitwarden, it has both GUI and CLI programs, mobile apps, and browser extensions. It is server-client based, but the server can be self-hosted if you want. All of the apps are open source, and they have gone through a security audit.

The downside is the official server is not great for a couple of reasons The first is that it has a hard dependency on MSSQL server 2017 which is non-free software. The second it that it requires a key. The key is free(at least right now), but it means the server it dependent on their servers being up. Also, it means that IMO, the server is not free/libre software, but it is open source. There is an alternative third party server available bitwarden_rs, which most people seem to like a lot more.

For this, you will have to rent server time. You can either pay someone for access to their VPN servers, so like PIA, NordVPN, Dashlane VPN, etc.

The other alternative is to rent a server (probably a a VM these days, so a VPS), and set up VPN software. The disadvantage is that these would have a single IP normally, so if you ever log onto your google account, or load a browser page with access to pre-existing google cookies, or any other of the major companies cookies, then that IP would be linked to you, and it is no longer truly anonymous. Oh, and you would also have to maintain the software on the VPS, and they generally ask for more information than VPS companies do. I mean, NordVPN allows payment with crypto.

You also could use TOR, but that is not quite the same thing.

1 Like

+1 to the existing thread
+1 to Bitwarden
and I use XFreeRDP to RDP into my Windoze machines for work from linux. Works fantastically even with existing rdp files

I use NordVPN, but i’m sure you can use another VPN, I don’t have too much stake in that fight

I’ve used remmina a few times for RDP. It works alright. I don’t have much experience in any heavy enterprise environment, but more of a one-off “let’s fix yer windows machine” way.

Just realised this was not the thread I ment to post this in there was some open source roundup thread somewhere. just can´t find it. This was what came up in the search that looked right, until it didn´t.

Jellyfin now finally has it´s LG webos client in the store.

It existed for quite a while, just not on the store, so you would have had to create an LG dev account to get in onto your TV.

Maybe, like me that was the reason you stuck with plex. Im gonna give it a try again now, lets see how it goes.