Recommendations for IP camera monitoring

Running 40+ cameras through a server and do not want anyone logged into the server itself. Looking for the best price/performance I can get to set up a couple people monitoring these cameras. Each person will only need to watch 12 or so max though they might need to go back and pull stuff from the other camera occasionally. I could do that from an actual desktop though. I need one of these people to run it off a 4k screen so he can have a 3 x 3 split and still have some resolution on each camera. About ready to just build a small form factor desktop because all these mini pcs seem like theyll have trouble running the screen. The amazon reviews for the intel nucs are all complaining about graphics. The cameras tend to use some cpu so Ill be aiming for i5s. Anyone have any success with this?

Also interested in this. Trying to decide between a hardware based NVR and a software solution. A lot of the open source programs (e.g. ZoneMonitor) are resource hogs with shitty UIs, which makes a cheap hardware NVR a lot more promising. However, the hardware NVRs seem to only support specific cameras and the software quality varies a lot and some NVRs don't really get any security updates.

Xeoma. Worth a look if you’re after a serious software based solution. Pricing and renewals are confusing but very reasonable considering how how powerful it is (almost national defence creepy level).

But the free version supports more then enough cameras for an organisation that sees value in going cheap, only caveat is only three modules in a chain. A lot can be done with three modules.

I haven’t done it as I run it on linux with only 8 cameras in a VM, but on windows you can use cuda cores to offload stream processing.

if these are security cameras i highly and emphatically advise you to avoid wireless
any wireless device broadcasts a radio signal that can easily be detected. and hacked.
go POE and invest is shielded trunking cable.
also all cabling between server and monitors needs armored protection to prevent tampering
unless they have access to the server they cannot view the camera output via remote (off site) pc or cell phone.

Old thread. Please read the date next time.