Recommendations for a new thin and light laptop?

So after a string of frustrating experiences I had with best buy’s geek squad over the last month (https://forum.level1techs.com/t/help-with-repair-shops-in-nyc-or-place-to-buy-laptop-spare-parts-online/143325), I am now in possession of $2500 in store credit to put towards a new laptop.

I don’t want to get the Acer triton 500 again even though it’s on a steep discount after I played with the mercury white Razer blade 15 in store and I loved the look and feel of it. The keyboard was meh but the large trackpad was amazing and it felt much sturdier than the Acer. If I got the Razer I’d be stepping down from a 2080 max q to a 2070 max q though and I don’t know really how big of a performance hit that’d be.

What are some other thin and light you guys think I should look at?

There’s obviously the Gigabyte Aero 15X (can’t remember if they’re still using that specific branding now) and Alienware options. Depends on how gamery you mind the thing looking?

Compared to the Razer, you’d be sacrificing build quality and the pretty neat cooling, but you’d be getting better hardware.

I recommend checking out this channel to help decide.

Purpose?
MacBook?

Gaming and programming classes. Not really a fan of Macs.

Thanks I’ll check it out

Picked up the Razer guys, I get 30 days to return it so let’s see how it does. So far there’s minor back light bleed on the lower right side but no coil whine or anything else. It does get hot under the keyboard though even just web browsing.

1 Like

Try out Throttlestop.

Should be able to get at least a -130mV undervolt. Can also limit the current on battery, so it stays cool and quiet (or the opposite, if that’s your thing).

Damn, does that ever look like a 2008 era Macbook Pro!

I was was able to get -150mv on xtu

Soon as I took it out of the box everyone at work thought I had bought a MacBook

I only recommend Throttlestop because it’s more stable, in my experience. Set it to start on login with Task Schedular, and you can just have it running in the background with no annoying notification icon.

Sure I’ll give it a try, I’m familiar with xtu but it shouldn’t be too different right?

1 Like

Just not as pretty haha

I’m really liking the cooling on the blade, running a 1 hour stress test on -150 mV temps are maxing out at 58°C in a 20°C air conditioned room.

avoid like the plague. these have terrible keyboards prone to issues like double typing and not responding to key presses.

had to return one.