Recommend me a $450~ Android

Looking for my first Android phone and I have a budget of roughly $450. Can go up to $480 or so.

Wants:

Solid display (1080p or 1440p, AMOLED preferred)

Good amount of ram (at least 3 gigs)

32+ gigabytes of storage

Good processor (probably octacore at this pricepoint)

Good camera. This is one of the main things I'm looking for. 4k 30/2k 30/1080 60 or 120 is vastly preferred in terms of video, and just overall good quality for stills.

Since I'm a complete Android noob, having the ability to be easily rooted or flashed would be nice too if I find an issue with the stock variant of the Android OS.

Unlocked/Unlocked AT&T because I'm going to get a Straight Talk plan for this ($55 for 10 gigs of 4G LTE seems to be pretty decent, especially when compared to other plans in my area)

From everything I've looked at so far, the Galaxy S6 Edge+ looks to be the clear winner. 1440p AMOLED display, solid camera, good processor, etc... However, what other options would you guys recommend over the S6 Edge+? I've seen the LG G5/V10, OnePlus 3, and the Nexus 6P, but from what I can tell the S6 Edge+ beats them all spec wise and would probably have an overall better value.

What do you guys think?

One Plus 3, still lacks an SD slot though

Any particular reasons why?

The OnePlus 3 looks like a very solid phone, but what makes it special over the S6 Edge+?

Better value for the money?

Basically, unless you care about Gear VR I think, can't really go wrong with either

1 Like

I bought an Lg g4 for 150 bucks, unlocked, it may not be a flagship today, but the camera is awesome!

Motor X pure, HTC One M9, Asus Zenfone 3, Asus zenfone Zoom.
Wouldn't get any Samsung 6 series or the Note 5. No SD is unacceptable IMHO.

Moto X pure is a very nice phone. A friend from work has one and he loves it. The HTC One M9 is a good price point but you're getting a heavily customized UI so take that as you will. Asus Zenfone 3 is the one I'm personally buying. I'm getting the deluxe model. I was looking at getting the Asus Zenfone Zoom as it has a quad core Intel atom clocked at 2.5GHz and 4GB of RAM.

The only thing that really let me down on the Asus Zenfone Zoom was the fact that it only has a USB 2.0 port. Phone manufacturers need to fucking use type C already. I want 3.0/3.1 speeds not 2.0 and since people are too retarded to figure out how to use a Micro USB 3.0 port then make it a damn type C port.

Also, the Samsung Edge phones have much worse support as far as software goes. So if you're going to root it then get one that isn't stupid. They are also far more likely to shatter. And there is no such thing as an octa core phone. That's bullshit. It's a primary quad core and a companion quad core. One of them is low power and one is high power. The phone will switch between them depending on workload. "Octa-core" is a lie perpetuated by phone makers to make people buy into the e-peen bullshit

The Zenfone 3 looks really attractive, especially for the variety of price points.

Would there be any noticeable performance increase when going from the lowest end version up to the Deluxe? The Ultra seems impressive, but for a little bit more (supposedly $30 or so) you can buy the Deluxe.

Also, where did you see that it has an Intel Atom?

The Asus Zenfone Zoom does not the 3. The basic model has a 600 series SD CPU. The Deluxe has a 820 series. It should be a fair amount faster but probably not too noticeable unless you're doing a lot with the phone. 6GB of RAM tho... Multitasking like a boss.

Was the lack of USB 3 support the only reason you decided to get the Zenfone 3 over it?

Or would the Zenfone 3 be the overall better choice since it is a new release and has updated hardware? (6 gigs of ram, for example)

I just really have no clue about any phones at all, so I'm trying to narrow my choices down to the "perfect" one and the Zenfone 3/Ultra/Deluxe seem really nice.

One of the reasons. I didn't really like the size of the camera. I was going to accept it because of the specs but I was very disappointed by the USB 2.0. I have a SGS5 so I already have USB 3.0 and I don't really feel like going backwards for no reason. When I saw the specs for the Zenfone 3 I decided to get that one instead. It's not going to be out till April but I'm not in a huge rush. The camera on the Zoom only does 1080P recording too which is kinda shit IMO.