Recent RMA of a Ryzen with segfault bug?

what do you mean?

Guys, Guys… The lockup/freeze at idle or low load is a motherboard problem mostly on Asrock and Gigabyte boards not the CPU. RMA your boards to fix it.

… are not the point of this topic.

1 Like

It is though. Check out the replies. People think the random lock issue at idle is CPU problem but its not. It’s a motherboard problem. I’m just making people aware

1 Like
  1. No, OP asked about how the RMA goes and if anyone did it recently
  2. It does not have to be the motherboard (GPU or RAM)

Just check the first few replies and then talk. I never said OP said.

The idle freeze on Ryzen is always the motherboard. I have personally faced it along with a lot of people on this forum and fixed by changing the mobo.

Gpu and ram causes crashes at stress tests not idle.

Please research a bit before replying the thread

I used to get idle freezes with my setup, but only in Linux (never use Windows more than a few hours a week anyway) and sometimes while inside the BIOS. Solved it by upping both the SoC and RAM voltage. No freezes since then.

Well it’s possible the motherboard is bad somehow too, but the CPU is definitely defective. There’s no way to know unless I get a known working CPU first. Ehhh I should probably get on that at some point. I just can’t be arsed to get my old system up and running and I’ll wanna do that before I go through the RMA process so I have something to use.

So I finally did the RMA…this is my experience so far

In the e-mail exchange with AMD Tech Support, the guy said he would do a cross-ship and ship the new CPU out as soon as he got my tracking number from the defective one I sent in.

After I gave him the tracking number he replied that a replacement would be sent AFTER they received the part and tested it. After I reminded him nicely he promised to do a cross-ship, he said he would send it out at the end of the day. I sent them the tracking number on a Monday and this exchange took until Friday.

I never heard anything for nearly a week, so asked for the tracking number for the replacement, which they emailed to me the next day. When I checked it, I found out it had just arrived that day but didn’t go out for delivery for whatever reason. I guess they weren’t going to tell me they sent anything and just hope it showed up. This was last night.

So today I go pick it up and inside the box is an A8 APU. All of the customs paperwork, packing slip, invoice etc. says it was a Ryzen 1700 inside and incidentally the date code on the paperwork is 1842PGT. Just emailed them again asking wtf. It’s been nearly 2 weeks now since I first e-mailed them the tracking number for the defective one I sent in.

The struggle continues…

3 Likes

OOF,

That sucks. I had to RMA an 8320 once and got back an 8350 so that was a nice surprise. Definitely start barking up their tree.

Yeah this only replying to me once every day or few is a real pain in the ass when they keep fucking up.

Maybe I’ll get to keep this shitty bulldozer APU. Should at least be able to get the cost of shipping a tracked package out of it.

Odds are they wont want it back I’m thinking.

lol probably not. probs costs them less to produce one than ship it around with a courier