Recent Level1 KVM Issues

Can you try another refresh rate on the Mac? https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210742

1 Like

It’s not hooked up at the moment, but I’ll give it a shot when the new cables come in.

Want to loop back on the usb hub though. Is there one that you know to work well with the usb3 ports on the kvm?

Seconded.

I’ve got an Anker one that’s overwhelmingly meh. When you plug something in, it’ll sequentially reset all the other devices that are plugged in. 2/10 would not recommend

1 Like

I would think any powered hub should be okay? I use a little usb3 + ethernet hub and its okay but now that you mention it that it’s a bit weird.

1 Like

I have a heavy duty startech one which I remember having issues, but maybe I should try it again.

I thought you had mentioned early on that a particular hub chipset didn’t like the kvm.

oh, its an add-in card, an old marvell chipset I think. those act weird. some 1st gen ryzen boards and the asmedia/chipset usb is also problematic sometimes.

1 Like

Ok, so the startech appears to be working. It’s possible I had some sketchy cabling when I first tried it in 2018.

This is the one for reference. I wanted something I could mount securely under my desk.

Oh wow I think the price went up. I don’t remember paying that much for it back then.

1 Like

@wendell is it feasible to add a mode to the kvm (not necessarily existing ones, but future models) where the usb hub actually power cycles when switching instead of sending a reset signal?

You requesting some custom firmware for yours :slight_smile:

Nah, I’ll buy the dual dp1.4 when it comes out, but I want some workaround for my mouse.

1 Like

Mr Money bags (I only ordered the single port)

1 Like

I’ll buy it through an llc, resell it to my grandmother for $5 and declare bankruptcy.

2 Likes

Shiiit that’s brilliant.

Should have financed the boat that way.

1 Like

@wendell club3d active adapters and 4k30hz are both ineffective. Again, it works perfectly on boot, but will not come back after switching to another input. The 1440 monitor flickers on and off and no picture comes up on the 4k. The 1440 monitor works fine if the 4k isn’t plugged in.

Holy shit, I figured out a workaround. It’s so stupid I can’t believe it works.

I added an hdmi connection between the mac pro and the 4k monitor (direct). That works as expected.

When I looked at the display preferences, the dp connection did appear as a phantom monitor, so I mirrored them and manually set the resolution to 4k60hz.

It takes quite a while to negotiate, but after some flickering, it does come up now…

I bet you could use an edid emulator for this with the mirroring instead of the hdmi connection.

Damn it. Spoke too soon. Not working reliably…

1 Like

No difference in reliability between 30 and 60. The mirror display hack only worked once. In fact, the issue is occurring in spite of any configured resolution or frame rate. 1440p doesn’t work either (true 1440, not scaled), but only on the 4k monitor. Even went down to 24fps… 59.9 was an option in 1440 as well, but again, no difference.

Same behavior across multiple adapter/cable combinations, so I don’t think it’s the cabling…

I did order that cable matters repeater. Looks like cheap garbage but who knows.

Can confirm, Cable Matters repeater does not solve the problem.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.