Realtek 8125 2.5Gb NIC not detected by pfSense or VyOS

Anybody know how to get the Realtek 8125 network card working in pfSense or VyOS?

The only two operating systems that see it is Windows 10 or Ubuntu 20.04.

It fails on pfSense 2.4.5 and 2.5. It fails on VyOS 1.3. It fails on Ubuntu 18.04. And finally fails on Debian 10.3.

I’ve tried manually installing the Realtek FreeBSD 1.95 driver if_re.ko to /boot/kernel and adding if_re_load=“YES” to loader.conf. It showed the driver loaded but interface still doesn’t show up.

Any ideas?

It’s not detected because pfsense and vyos are based of versions of FreeBSD and Debian that are older and don’t support the driver out of the box, maybe one day once pfsense is updated to newer FreeBSD base it ends up working out of the box.

But you’ve added the FreeBSD driver to pfsense… If you ssh into pfsense and do ifconfig, can you see the realtek interface? … Can you find anything related to this adapter in dmesg logs?

Download the driver from the Realtek website and build it? It comes with a build script and I’m pretty sure VyOS has the necessary build tools.

if_re (including the version on their site) is for 10/100/1000 nics, not 2.5G. I don’t think there is a FreeBSD driver for the 8125 chipset.