The RYZEN 1000 Thread! Summit Ridge - General Discussion

Its hard to predict the future, but it is probably unlikely that games are going to get worse at taking advantage of more cores. So it seems safe to say that when you buy a high core cpu is when it will be at its worst for gaming. Also, i saw an improvement in tf2 turning my hyper threading on with my i7 2600k, so there's that...

that's amazing i didn't know they still made games that don't use quad core cpu's

either we find something other than silicon , or we keep adding cores

Lots of games are still using mainly one or two threads, the others are just used for audio or maybe physics. It is getting better but clockspeed is still king overall. So a quad RYZEN at 4GHz will run games faster than one of my my dual xeon builds. And I don't really need two of those.

1 Like

well a dual xeon will render a 4k and play the game at the same time faster than a ryzen could. lol

it's all about that multitasking. different strokes for different folks lol

1 Like

Oh, if you are asking me if I will keep my dual xeon or build a RYZEN gaming system, I'm gonna say the same thing any man with two penises says when his tailor asks him if he dresses to the right or left.

"Yes."

1 Like

Wanted to put one together as an HTPC, saw the video outputs on the AM4 boards and assumed there would be embedded graphics of some sort.

Apparently Zen with an APU won't come out till mid 2017 or some such. Wanted to avoid having a graphics card for heat and noise, plus the extra expense.

I am really excited for the 1700 cpu.

8 core at 65 watt tdp.

I have had complete overkill rigs, and I have had complete underkill rigs. I want to make a system that is EXACTLY what I need. I want to play very light weight games at 4K, I want to be able to run 2 or 3 VMs comfortably, I want the system to sip power, and I want it to fit into a shoe box.

3 Likes

Unrelated.... I used to have those speakers yeaaaarrrrrrsssssss ago.

As for Ryzen... I didn't plan on waiting, but laziness got the better of me. I was planning on buying parts a couple weeks ago, but here I am. No parts bought.... and now i feel like I'm going to wait on Ryzen benches before deciding on parts for my next build.

that's the issue. AMD are the kings of meh. unless you're building a system under pretty specific circumstances, AMD parts have always come with the caveat "but it was only X bucks", that's the main draw that i can see. if you show me a AMD that handily outperforms an Intel/Nvidia part, sure. i'll put money down.

a lot of it seems to be on principle, which i understand. but at the same time, meh.

@Dangerdog There is a XFX RX460 passive. For an HTPC you can pair that with something very low power and make a completely passively cooled system.

@Tjj226_Angel Yeah, that sounds doable. And if the claimed efficiency is real, that might also be very interesting for enterprise stuff.

@Goblin and @King_of_Old_School Sure, if you always look at maximum performance regardless of cost then AMD is not for you. So, do you own 6950X + Titan XP systems?

1 Like

Fair enough. If it comes down to "I like A better than B" that is completely fine with me.
Just got a little triggered because "kings of meh" (not your words, I know) is so .... dumb.

Tbh I don't give a fuck about the performance, it's going to be good enough for most things, JUST SHOW ME THE MOTHERBOARDS!

4 Likes

They've also had better products now for years. The power efficiency isn't something you can flat out ignore when you're building a PC, especially so when it's a small form factor one. Something that has gotten really popular in the later years. So Nvidia is just plain better and more expensive. The RX 480 is the first card in a good while that is competitive. Still less efficient though, Nvidia is still better.

Add to this the very aggressive marketing. Remember the GTX 1080 launch soon to be a year ago? Almost every YouTuber and Twitch streamer had one. Not only the "tech" ones, all the gaming channels. They've gotten pretty much all the popular people singing their song, AMD might as well not exist.

I remember a stream I watched with one eye a while back, not even a big channel (Redacted cast, StarCitizen). When hardware came up they were all "I only use Intel and Nvidia". AMD might as well not exist, they don't know about any Radeon or Ryzen, nor do they care (,ight as well be brand names for detergent). Only Intel and Nvidia exist in their world, and it is like that for the majority of gamers out there.

And they are not wrong, Intel and Nvidia has been the best thing for gaming for a good while now. Nv not as long as intel but getting there. Intel has the best gaming CPUs and Nvidia has the best gaming GPUs.

So yeah, it is the consumers fault. For buying the best products. Market economy 101.

I think desktop Kaby Lake will have it beat in games, like the 99% of games that are mostly dependent on single thread. Even the best threaded games that scale with cores still run better on a fast Intel four core with SMT than on an overclocked Piledriver. look at Ashes of the Singularity etc. If Ryzen can't match Kaby for single thread, it will be slower in games. The benchmarks will be dominated by Kaby i7 at 5+ GHz. I don't think Ryzen will clock close to 5 GHz, so it will lose that game. I would love to be wrong of course, but it doesn't look like it so far. I am very curious about how Ryzen will overclock using water cooling etc. We'll see.

Dude....

Context and shit.... ;)

Yeah sure, that's why I wrote "desktop" as it is much cheaper than 2011 Xeon stuffs. So why buy Ryzen if "cheap" Desktop Kaby Lake is faster for pretty much all gaming?

Kaby etc will eventually migrate to that bigger socket too. Don't forget Skylake-X etc on that newfangled socket thing that is supposed to launch soon-ish. Will probably be dealyed Intel-style.

Because RYZEN will be cheaper. The R7 1700 8c/8t looks to be 320,- which is already less than a 7700k. The 1400X 4c/8t is probably less than that, don't you think? And the boards won't be sol next year or so when the further optimized stuff hits higher clocks. Also I can have a cheap 4c/8t part for now and switch to something with a lot more cores if I want to. Try that on socket 1151.

Or you buy Kaby Lake today, overclock to 5 GHz and have something that is faster but more expensive. That's the thing it comes down to, people only consider AMD stuff 'cause they are "poor".

Meh, you just buy another motherboard with more and nicer features, socket 1152 or whatever name it will be. Coffe Lake or whatever the next, faster Intel CPU will be (they recently promised +15% wohoo...). Intel has the marketing scheme down to a science, every CPU launch is accompanied with a gazillion new motherboards. Asus alone has how many Z270 boards again? No wonder people don't even remember that AMD exist, there is a steady stream of new Intel stuff almost every year now. Pretty much every gamer on YT, twitch etc has Intel badges and name-droppes Intel at every launch. Intel sponsor the biggest gaming events, last years GamesCon had Intel's name plastered all over it.

And don't get me wrong, I fucking hate Intel's business practices. They are arrogant shits to the ninth degree to be sure. Take the "Intel-style" delay for example, Intel never delays products, they just "adjust" launch dates. Aurgh, the nerve. They also ended up in court for their underhanded business practices against AMD. They lost and had to pay an insignificant amount. If you ask people about it, nobody knows that it even happened. So they got a slap on the wrist and pretty much got away with it. People say Nvidia is a sleazy company, they got nothing on Intel.

And I've been poor most of my life, never could afford the good stuff back in the day. Ran AMD back in 1996, still ran AMD in 2013. Things looked up though and I could buy my first real Intel thing (with double rebates) in late 2013. First a motherboard that was on a shelf before a double-rebate deal for a CPU came up, etc etc. And ofc I got shafted on the motherboard, as most X79 boards were kinda horrible. Radeon GPUs 'cause Nv is like more than double the price. Never really able to afford what I really wanted.

But that's what it comes down to isn't it? Buy AMD 'cause I can't afford what I want, the faster Intel.

Sooo it would be something great if Ryzen would be decent for a change. Phenom 2 wasn't that great, Intel were faster and then they released Sandy Bridge. All that's history. I really, really really hope Ryzen isn't crap. I hope it is close to Intel. It would fabulous unicorn and rainbows if it was faster AND cheaper, but hey a man can dream right?

I think I need to stop ranting and drink my coffee.

1 Like

If you don't like a company's practices, may I suggest just to stop giving them money?
Because that is how you vote these days. That is why I don't buy nvidia GPUs anymore.

Not really, at least not in my case.

3 Likes