Ready Player One Thoughts and SDCC Trailer

I read the book after I saw the trailer, and it I can say the book is amazing. Best book that I have read since high school.

It is similar to willy wonka and the chocolate factory. The premise is of a massive treasure hunt in the world’s most played VR mmorpg. You can be anyone and anything you want in it. When one of the creators of the MMO dies his will is publicly released and says that whoever finds the easter egg he hid in the OASIS (the mmo’s name). The first person to find it gains his fortune and take majority control in the company. It is filled with numerous 80s pop culture references. This is a time when nothing else really matters but escaping reality for something more pleasant. Poverty is far worse than it is today, famine is still on the rise. By this time computers are cheaper than ever, so you would see homeless connected to the oasis.

The book was amazing and the movie has been directed by Steven Spielberg. Set to release in March of 2018. Can’t wait!

1 Like

I heard about it at trunews

It was mentioned in the “Let’s talk cyberpunk” thread.
Still can’t stand the “race for the copper key” and operators mimicking their movement in VR.
Still think the movie is raping the book and it will be crap.

1 Like

Is there a real reason why I should care about this movie or book? I have a coworker who wouldn’t stop talking about this and I complained that the only selling point seems to be that you can get to see a delorean, the iron giant, and transformers all in one sitting. He seemed to think along the lines of “How is hundreds of cameos and references not an amazing movie?”

Everyone has given up on revolution and accepted their shit lot in life and live in VR instead. Except if your leet enough you can get the richest dudes bitcoin wallet. Because the richest dude doesn’t have any aspirations after making VR perfect, just to be usurped as the guy with the biggest swinging epeen.

Some no life neet with a giant case of USI wins the coins and a girl at the end. Sail off into the sunset.

Did I sum it up or is my guess off?

There was a thread about the book
"oh I heard about the movie!"
so I thought I would share what I heard with people who actually read the thing
Find thread got locked :hushed:
So I thought I could start this and maybe the people who care about the book could take it over or maybe the mods could merge this with it.

Honestly I don’t plan on reading it or seeing it, but since I heard about the movie and saw guys interested in the book I thought it might be nice to let them know.

I was really into Dune, was excited about the movie, hopefully it won’t be the nightmare that was

Edit
Go to the new thread, guy there actaully cares about this
Bye :slight_smile:

This is the thread. Wolfleben working overtime.

1 Like

You did sum it up, but the thing is, most people who I have talked to about it and have read it, can say they enjoyed it. It might be directed to a niche, but that niche is the younger generations. Young adults at the very least. But I couldn’t put it down till I finished it.

I’m pretty sure only you can decide what you should or should not care about. Do you always allow other people think for yourself?

No idea what the USI is in this context, but in the book the kid is a fat nerd hunting for easter eggs, which accidentally gets the first piece of the puzzle, gets famous, becomes kind of an asshole, snaps out of it, works out, infiltrates the Giant Evil Corporation IRL, and through superpowers of character development, hard work and nerdiness (including word-to-word knowledge of the whole script of Monty Python and the Holy Grail and Wargames, iirc, and the knowledge of archaic arcade machine games) gets the coins and yes, the girl.
But I’m pretty sure the movie will be about a special indigo snowflake getting the coins and the girl just because.

Which one? The 2000 version was really close to the book, as I remember it.

One before that with the italian sounding director and the guy who became “captain baldy” on Star Trek TNG.
Book had so much internal dialog making it good was always gonna be hard

I can see why a lot of people would enjoy that. I don’t really like wish fulfillment stories where the crux is protag wasted so much time doing nothing of any value but got lucky that a guy with actual gumption decided to just give it to him should he prove he’s really as nerdy as he says he is.

Sorry if I sound super pissed off, I just see more stories like this getting popular more and more and I hate what that says about us.