Ray Tracing and VFIO. Any gotchas to keep in mind?

Planning to get a RTX 2080 Ti to replace my GTX 1080 Ti because I want to play Control in 4K with ray tracing and DLSS, either through Lutris and the GOG DRM-free copy or through a Windows VM using my 10920X system.

Are there any gotchas to using DLSS or Ray Tracing in VFIO? Like performance differences between a VM and native and if Looking Glass affects performance with DXGI vs NVFBC.

I plan to use my 6900 XT I’m getting late this year for my 9900K system bare metal with Windows AME so that’s not an issue.

I know at least one of these options is good. If I could get Lutris working with DLSS and Ray Tracing, that would be great, but I ideally want to do it through VFIO.

And 6900 XT Bare Metal Windows AME is my backup case for playing Control if VFIO and the 2080 Ti has issues.

I have a Windows VM with a RTX A4000 and its been fine for RT although im not a super hardcore gamer, ive not noticed any real perfomance drops vs Windows apart from the little overhead VMs take

Good to hear. There were initial reports using the tensor cores for RT and DLSS reduces performance in a VM but if this is true it might not be as founded.

Im currently downloading Watch Dogs Legion again to do a playthrough and ill try it on a windows bare metal machine and VM and see what the results are with RTX on and off with the VM and baremetal.

and report back in 30mins / 1hr once its done

the machine is a TR 3945WX and RTX A4000 so its a pretty mid spec workstation that should handle it fine and should be near identical id hope, but ill report back with the findings

Also turn on/off DLSS. That’s likely to have a more important performance impact if system memory bandwidth is at issue for DLSS.

Did some quick testing of driving around the city and heres the results (hope this maybe helps a bit) :slight_smile:
Bare Metal
RTX ON | DLSS Quality 1440p Ultra = 42FPS Avg
RTX OFF | DLSS Quality 1440p Ultra = 48 FPS Avg
RTX ON | NO DLSS 1440p Ultra = 54Fps
RTF OFF No DLSS 1440p Ultra = 73fps avg

VM Win 11 (8 core 16t)
RTX ON | DLSS Quality 1440p Ultra = 40FPS Avg
RTX OFF | DLSS Quality 1440p Ultra = 45 FPS Avg
RTX ON | NO DLSS 1440p Ultra = 48Fps
RTF OFF No DLSS 1440p Ultra = 69fps avg

No DLSS seems outside of error margins, but with DLSS seems to bring results closer to each other.

Is VBS off?

VBS is on i think? this is a stock win 11 VM i just use for a few games havent tweaked anything apart from a wallpaper and removed icons on desktop so if VBS is on by default then yes its on.

Try to find a way to turn it off. VBS might be introducing nested virtualization.

sorry for late response, i turned VBS off and still getting the same performance give or take didnt notice any real performance gains

Very good to hear. Now I want to see if games that make heavy use of PCI-E Bandwidth copy are affected by VFIO.

This should be easy with the 3DMark PCI-E Bandwidth test. This also affects Looking Glass performance.