I created this thread for people who would like to get their skill level rated by expierenced sysadmin/devops/programmers and hr people alike.
A lot of jrs in the IT field and even senior ones often dont know how to rate their skill level because they have no one to compare them to in their direct environment.
Here is the place to post your application and get them rated or even get a word of advice where to go or what to look at in order to advance in your carrer.
It doenst matter if you are a sysadmin for x+ years or just finished school and work as part time job in a local computer store.
I hope that we get a lot of expierenced people here to rate and get wholesome advice
Since I am the one who seeked out such a thread and created it I will be the first to jump into ring.
Little Background info:
Current Age 29. Started to work in the IT field about 16 years ago as a part time job in a local pc store and never left the field since.
Started to work in a fulltime helpdesk user support job when i was about 19 and was hired as sysadmin with 22 to replace a sysadmin who was leaving half a year later.
Currently main responsibility network/firewall and voice systems on a 20k+ user enviornment.
Apart from our voice and storage systems I am capable to setup all other system from scratch and configure them as needed.
- Networking (vlans, switching, routing, LAN, WLAN)
- Firewall (ASA,PaloAlto)
- Setting Up and Trouble Shooting Windows Client and Server Systems
- Virutalisation (vSphere, Docker)
- VPN and MPLS Troubleshooting and Setup
- Setting Up and Trouble Shooting Linux Server Systems in general
- Scrippting for task automation(Python, Powershell, Bash)
- SAN and general Storage Systems
- Trouble Shooting with Wireshark and general syslog analysis
- Managing VoIP Systems from Avaya and Cisco
- SD-WAN Deployment and Planing for Remote Sides
- Generall Project Mgmt Prince2
- Setting Up and configuring Monitoring Systems
I have no clue how to rate myself.
Am I jr or a senior sysadmin?
Am I underselling myself? I still fell like I fake it even if I can answer most questions which get fired in my direction.
Current goal is to get more into networking and become a full on network admin for Advanced WAN Services.