Raspberry Pi Have Released a High Quality 12.3 Megapixel Camera Module Today

So, how about setting up a world wide network of Astro-pi’s, when the folding for covid is over, to restart the SETI program?

Maybe it needed radio or X-ray telescopes or something. I don’t really think SETI has much chance

1 Like

Pi Global Meteor Detection Network.

Im not sure if this camera would be sensitive enough, though it could definitive pick up many of them above a certain brightness.

2 Likes

My understanding was that most of SETI’s work was with radio telescopes.

2 Likes

I really do think that the obvious use case for this addon is cheap network camera.

I’m going to get my hands on 3-4 of these + a few pi zero w’s and see what I can do.

4 Likes

Please share a detailed build-log if you do :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Maybe a new method of searching will discover the little green men With their Anal probe obsession

2 Likes

Oh, of course.

But it looks like they’re not in stock :confused:

Both the camera and the pi zero.

1 Like

Microcenter is bae for those

1 Like
1 Like

Thats pretty good

1 Like

The camera module for tinkerers, sure. The lenses… no.

Did anyone say it was anything other than what it is?

Is that a convoluted way of saying “it is what it is”? Then yes, it is what it is. That’s fine. But the 16mm lens is soft and wide is bending everything. You can get better glass used for less.

Which is why they have a standard mount system and the camera is sold without a lens. It’s a $50 camera module, not a professional $2k piece of kit. I don’t get the need for the stream of negativity.

I think looking critically at any product is something everyone should do. That is why you look at benchmarks and reviews, right? I’m not overly negative, I’m just letting you know what parts look ok to me and which don’t. That is the point of a forum, right? Letting others know what you think?

Yes. Your posts have just been coming across to me as more of “this is trash.” end of, than constructive.

Especially when you consider its price range and intended purpose. For example, I entirely agree on the lenses, though we don’t have detailed info on their quality and how they compare to other C-CS lens. However you just said “Lenses… no”, that didn’t seem critical or comparative at all to other C-CS lenses, just purely negative.

Personally, it would be great to get a little list of some decent lenses for this mount type. Especially if there are people here that want to pick up the camera module its self.

1 Like

I’m not actively using that mount, so I can’t make a proper list of what are the best ones or anything like that. But looking at the price of the module (around 55,-) and the kit with the 16mm (over 100,-) I can say that those lenses are overpriced.

Here is something to give you an idea.

So yes, I am critical of these lenses that are being sold for that camera module specifically.

Also, maybe it went by you but I am kind of a photography guy. That’s just where I’m coming from when a company labels something high quality camera. That is my point of view. Always. And from that point of view, the lenses are not that great value and as a camera compared to a used DSLR or mirrorless, this module (with the rpi because it won’t work without one) is also having a hard time.

If you want to build something a normal camera can’t do, great. You want to tinker around. Get a module and buy a lens on ebay.

The Novaspirit video had examples.

Would be cool to see someone make a webcam with this.

@eposvox

2 Likes