Raspberry Pi, but actually Good ™

does intel have foundries in china?

clearly they’re selling quite well

Yep. Granted beating a raspi is just about the easiest thing you can do in the embedded market.

I believe so yes. They also have dev breakout boards which means we might get even more from 3rd parties down the line.

1 Like

#2 best seller on amazon right after the RPI B3+

1 Like

RPi is probably the most popular SBC on the market. They were successful in this matter. For some applications RPi is ok. But … definitely not as NAS or any more powerful server.
Many people buy RPi because they simply do not know better and fell into this media noise … raspberry pi raspberry pi raspberry pi

The problem with Pi Alternatives isn’t performance or speed of the hardware. It’s community support and ease of use.

Most individuals aren’t going to compile code from source just so they can run, “Hello World.” Most don’t want to connect an rs-232 to there device to flash an OS to the board. Hell, most don’t want to bother with the command line.

So showing them a ‘more powerful board’ that isn’t easy to use and doesn’t have a lot of support is like showing someone a new card without the owners manual.

Sure you can start it up and you can probably get it to run. But an average person isn’t going to spend 2 weeks troubleshooting a problem just to get it to ‘work’.

yep. It’s a triumph of influencer marketing, not good design.

which is why an x86 board is exciting. They thrash arm platforms and just work ™ – but this is the first time one’s been the same price.

The newer latte pandas do all of that iirc, they’re around 100-150 tho, cheaper without w10 license

Also isn’t this the board that uses a separate chip for pin-out and was rated slower than a Pi? Not being sarcastic or trolling, I was reading a review about a board that just came out. But I don’t remember the name.

The trade-off for running x86 was that it didn’t have integrated gpio or pin-out. So they had to use a separate controller that ran over a serial bus to the cpu. Ultimately hurting anything useful you could do with the gpio pins. And effectively being slower than a pi for hardware development.

I think that was the UP, which is faster than this and the RPI on everything but gpio

this is a different product.

You might be right.

Full on distro is good enough in case I wanna use it for something else. Am looking for a specific feature set in the smallest possible form factor. Not really concerned about price per say. Good support would be nice also. emmc makes my head hurt.

could have also been the asus tinker board

oh btw @FaunCB they still make MIPS and APM single boards for thin clients if you want a niche thing

I disagree. There’s pretty of flexibility in the mobile sphere with the Pi. I’ve seen plenty of portable projects. If all you want out of the board is a computer with the basic necessities then you can do a lot better for $35.

I’m not going to be the idiot that says it can do anything. There’s a reason I have a desktop, laptop, phone, and tablet… But I’m not going to say it isn’t viable portably in comparison to an x86 SBC.

What makes the Pi great is the price tag and the standardization of some amazing projects that very few have succeeded as well at.

videos of youtubers using them are starting to trickle in, it can apparently run full blown popOS and play indie titles at 60fps from steam

2 Likes

There were no meant to PIs they are repourpousing form some other project or product or who knows what that’s why you need to make your own power adapter, plug thingy etc etc which is why it’s so cheap since they didn’t redesign it as a PI. I bet they got some big stock pile and will eventually be out of stock for real at some point

By mobile I meant the mobile phone market, sorry if i wasnt clear

Thats the thing right, what’s a standard arm platform when you could use intel for the same price, no community porting efforts needed? If this takes off it will be so much better by virtue of not being an uphill climb for support on each new little thing.

Not saying the raspi is bad (ok I might be) but this is a huge improvement

1 Like