Rant on new windows update

It's not that hard to load Windows 7 onto it.
Just do it. -Shia LeBeouff

cute but we @ Linux don't have patience's for an uninstall! JUST STEAM ROLL THE DAMN THING RIGHT OVER IT!!!

I dual boot Windows10 and Linux. I try to do everything I can in Linux including playing games. However DOOM I am playing in Windows10.

Pre anniversary update I was getting 50 to 55 FPS on a 4K monitor with most settings at ultra in native resolution.

Now the recommended settings in the NVIDIA application have changed to have everything at low. I play the game with the settings that worked fine a few days ago and I get 20 FPS.

I am running two GTX 970s in SLI.

What was the title of episode 242...

The Tek 0242: Microsoft Crippling Steam?

1 Like

Not they are not ridiculous complaints. They are small things yes but Microsoft should not be altering your settings / preferences with updates.

I am sure they have the 'right' to do so in the licensing agreement but they should have the common sense not to because it will cost them customers.

Personally I couldn't give a toss if they do lose customers as I am a penguin enthusiast.

People stuck on Windows 7/8 out of principe unfortunately won't get DX12 support for games. MS is trying to entice people to upgrade anyway they can. Unfortunately if you are a gamer who want's DX12 functionality in the future, you have to upgrade. It means dealing with a lot of the crap Windows 10 shoves down our throat, tracking, data mining, and forced updates to name a few.

1 Like

Annoying thing is, on my windows workstation, it stopped my Intel Pro Ethernet software driver stoof working, annoying. And yes, yes I use Linux too, I have to use windows for software that isn't on Linux, and also won't run well under wine or alike.

EDIT: And also a side note, dual nic teaming is STILL broken in windows 10, it's like 10 months now or so?

Yeah dude... You signed up for this by using Windows 10. You're really not in control. In all honesty, the things you mentioned are quite insignificant. It's not too hard to undo the changes. Also, Widl is pretty much useless anyway. It just seems like you're upset about something you should have been expecting.

The DirectX incentive has been a MS tool for years. They did the same thing with Vista and Direct X 10.
Although that felt like more of a downgrade TBH.
IIRC Halo 2 PC was the title they were pushing DX10 for. Was involved with a Halo PC clan just prior to the Halo 2 PC release. There were long debates about moving to Halo 2. Clan disbanded instead of moving to Windows Vista. To hell with that OS.

Of course if you judge DX12 by Quantum Break it feels like a downgrade too.

The song remains the same.

The greatest feature of the latest Win 10........................... is that you can turn your wifi on and off by clicking on the icon and clicking on the icon :) Its the little things that mean so much.

If you have to fight with your OS to make it do what you want as it actively works against you, it's flawed.

Being an apologist for M$'s fuck ups will not help in that regard. Especially considering that this is only what OP can see, who knows what they've changed without OP's knowledge.

1 Like

At least from my experience windows 10 is just to broken and unusable for me, my fist experience with windows 10 accidentally erased my main thumb drive (as a college student this is life threatening ). Then on the new laptop that I purchased it wouldn't let me create a bootable Linux drive, this was even more annoying. So I am not shocked to hear that other people are having difficulty with windows 10, it also does not surprise me that they are usurping control of a system away from the user/owner of the system in the name of pushing their own products. @Urworstnit3m3r made mention of using windows for gaming, and while that is an option for gaming it is not the only choice. You could go the way of building a virtual machine that you could pass a GPU to, but you could also build a small steam streaming server for about 400 - 500 dollars or even dare I say... buy a console for the big AAA titles, as most indie games are on linux these days . Your options these days are not limited to just dual booting windows 10 and loathing yourself for it.

@Urworstnit3m3r I wish you good luck with dealing with windows 10, however I fear Microsoft will not stop in their endeavors to take more and more from us, be it freedom or information. if you truly wish for gaming to be more available on Linux, buy more Linux games!

(It's early here and cbf looking this up, I know, I know)

I may be misinformed, but aren't they implementing windows 10 "features" into the other builds of older Windows OS's like windows 7 and 8? Then wouldn't that mean that no matter what recent windows OS your using, it does not matter?

thats how it was with vista and 7 also. Previously dx version was not bound to system. You could install and update it on same system.

Post update update KB3176495 seems to have mostly fixed the issues I was having related to Steam. FPS in DOOM still not quite as good as before.