[Rant] Anyone else pissed about DOOM's update & treatment of Multiplayer?

So i wanted to launch DOOM again, and i thought Steam was validating my installation of the game. NOPE! 30+ GB update today for people. I bought Resident Evil Revelations last winter and have yet to install it. It's 30GBs... This update is larger at 34.

Apparently all DLC is free. But what is ACTUALLY taking up the 30+ gigabytes?! WTF?! And to top it off; they put so much emphasis on the Multiplayer, it'd be exciting to get a 30 gigabyte singleplayer expansion! Doom always has been and always will be; for those of us who have been actually gaming for some time and have credibility - a singleplayer game. Can it have multiplayer? Sure. But it's predominantly a singleplayer game... Just beat it again on Nightmare. Love the game. And it has potential for a lot more in terms of story experience. I love where they've taken it. But the amount of focus they put on multiplayer makes me want to vomit. The reason WHY they did this isn't really a mystery. They're catering to the console kiddies because ever since the 7th generation of consoles, multiplayer has become a tacked on gimmick of a feature and put into places where it doesn't even belong. Shame... Real shame.

And yeah, to reiterate; what the hell is actually in this update? Surely new armors and such can't amass to half the size of the game overall?! The giddiness in me is hoping for new singleplayer DLC.

2 Likes

I am really not sure why you would be upset. You can just tell it to not update if you don't want to waste the bandwidth. It is supposed to change a bunch of things with the leveling system and a whole bunch of stuff with the multiplayer and content. All free. You can not install it, or you can install it. No one is making you. But for those who are interested in the update to get the free stuff, they will be excited. Free stuff is good. Not charging for DLC and expansions is good. I am happy about it, personally. I doubt that I will play the multiplayer much, if at all, but I am still happy that they decided to go this route. (Of course it could just be that they weren't making much money off of the season passes anyway and thought this would be a good way to get people talking about the game again) They list waht is in each update, so you can go look at what it is that you are getting and what it is that is changing. As far as I know, there is nothing that is being added to the single player campaign except for the leveling system.

As for the game overall, it might not actually affect the game as much for a fresh install as it does for those who already have the game installed. What I mean by that is that if you installed the game previously, that was 60+ gb downlaod. Then this update is 34gb. So that is close to 100gb overall. But if you were to install the game fresh right now, I don't know how many gbs it would need to download. It is possible that the stuff that is coming through in the update is replacing the stuff that was downloaded when the original game was installed, so it is overriding things and so the total game install size isn't as large as the sum of the two main parts. It could be something like 75gb for a fresh install, for all I know (I'm not about to install the game fresh to find out).

I really don't see why you would be upset about this. They already had stuff made and instead of refusing to let people have it unless they paid for it, they decided to give it to everyone for free. If you aren't interested, cancel the download and play it as is. Everything will be fine. If you do want this free stuff, download it. If you didn't have the game already, I don't know what you would be upset about.

4 Likes

Well, if there's a way to skip an update on Steam, it must be the most subtle thing on Earth. Because i didn't see any "Skip" button anywhere. Running in Offline mode didn't do the trick either.

And all that stuff about free stuff. Makes sense... but. Yeah.

Just don't play multiplayer?

1 Like

Looks like you missed half the post. Or all of it.

I respectfully, disagree.

1 Like

Throw rug?

1 Like

I was guessing it was supposed to be a NEET blanket.

1 Like

What are you people disagreeing exactly? fact is i won't and can't download this update cuz 32 GB is 32 GB added to my monthly cap. Only after i am gonna be limited i will dl this. With the speed of 250 KB/s mind you.

In the mean time i can forget about this game cuz you cannot play when you have an update pending. AND i don't play MP so how is this a benefit for me? or to @Prenihility

1 Like

Well atleast the internet speeds are much faster thesedays. i remember the 2-3 days of continuous downloading wich i had to do to keep Age of Conan up to date back in the days the internet connections were slower. Updates as big as around 20 gigs at 2005-6 ish... Now i have 100 times faster connection so not a problem, and no data caps.

Fortunately, my days of watching 30kb/s downloads for days, weeks, months at a time is well behind me.

If there isn't a way to get around having to update the game, that sucks. Not really anything that you can do about it though. It sucks, but they aren't trying to fuck with you and your data cap. They are handing out free stuff, and I am guessing that they are requiring the update for everyone so that everyone online will all have it. Maps and whatnot being universal would make things easier server-side. Again, if you don't play multiplayer, then that sucks. Still don't see a reason to be upset about it. Having shitty internet sucks. Deal with it or get better internet. We have all been there. You can try talking to steam customer support or email the Doom team and see waht they can do.

1 Like

We have crap internet in our house and both me and my brother had this happen to us

7 hours where we were both DOOMless :frowning:

3 Likes

Exactly. And this goes in line with what i was saying about multiplayer. They pulled a 2008 with DOOM and gave it some tacked on multiplayer of no significance. Want a MP shooter? Play CS. Play Quake. Play something with some pedigree. DOOM took so many design queues from Metroid Prime, and it was wonderful. No one has really explained why this update is so massive, either. Half the size of the game altogether. I could only imagine what 30 gigabytes for GTA Online would give people.

@1920.1080p.1280.720p

Well why in the hell did you say you don't have to download the update if you don't want to? And with so much reassurance as if i completely shit the bed and missed some kind of obvious option? I've been on Steam since 2006 and i haven't noticed any kind of "skip it" button for updates. Also, if you're implying i (or anyone else) has shitty internet; i don't anyway. But it's all relevant. Is a new Challenger Hellcat fast? Absolutely. But by comparison it's not as fast as a Pagani Huayra. So therefore the Hellcat is shitty? No. If developers want to pump out 30 gigabyte UPDATES, then appropriate internet speeds should be more readily available. Not a very considerate decision. And it's funny because i was always known as the guy with the "KGB connection" when gaming with people. And @alphazero1990 downloading something at 250KB/S is pretty slow for that kind of data. I could update the game in 14 hours @ over 700KB/S. Another user said 7 hours. That's still 7 hours of being locked out of a game. It may as well be a big "Fuck you" for 7 hours. It's actually quite ridiculous. Buckling down for an hour or two. No problem. Updates can be big. But 30+ gigabytes? And for some Play Skool/Fisher Price multiplayer mode that from the looks of things was just hindering how much better the actual game could've been? Nah...

And btw, the blanket = Blanket statement.

@flazza

If you can download that in 7 hours your internet ain't bad. It's all relevant. If i'm downloading an entire NEW GAME, that's understandable. But an UPDATE. For a game like DOOM? It's hilarious. And this isn't a massive expansion for an MMO or something.

1 Like

Modern games are growing by the gigabyte and so are the updates. Personally as much as I love Doom I find the install size obnoxious, this is not the first time the game has had huge updates and I'm sure it won't be the last.

For the record i have unlimited fibre, so it's less than two hours for me and not an inconvenience in the slightest. I'm just one of those people who really likes things to be efficient.

Maybe I subconsciously identify as dial up? Is that a gender yet? :slight_smile:

1 Like

nope, you just identify as sane

I despise inefficiency.

You guys whine so hard. Its free, I remember having to download a patch for Morrowind around 3 or 4 gigs at the time on 56k dialup. It took a few days. The 34 Gb download only took me about two hours. I pay an extra $5 bucks a month for unlimited internet in Canada, so if I can get it in Canada i'm sure you guys can get it in the USA or any other major country.

Time is worth nothing?

>My personal experiences apply to everyone

>My personal experiences still apply to everyone

>not realizing large portion of the US is Africa tier internet