Random thoughts on Ryzen 3700x + Asus X570 TUF

I recently upgraded my computer to newer hardware and thought that I share some observations. I used Piledriver FX-6300 before on Asus 970.

I got AMD Ryzen 3700X, Asus X570 TUF motherboard and Kingston HyperX 3600Mhz RAM. Setup went pretty well no real issues with new parts. Ram worked fine with D.O.C.P setting. And I didn’t really changed anything else on that point. System worked fine. I ran then new system first with the stock cooler.

Biggest problem that I had was when I installed my old graphics card which is also Asus. Asus Nvidia 1060 3G didn’t really fit well to mainboard. Motherboard chipset fan gets almost completely blocked by card in the first slot. I don’t think that this Asus 1060 is even that big card. Mainboard:

Original card installed to mainboard:
GPU_before

I modded the card by cutting the plastic fan cover that is blocking PCH fan. It turned out very well. Plastic was easy to cut with dremel cutting disk. Then I sanded rough spots with dremel sanding tool. And finally hand sanded parts (cuts) with 300 and 600 sand paper. Now at least the PCH fan isn’t blocked although it might get hotter air through GPU.Modded card, right side opened for airflow:

Compare to original (image from Asus):

Modded card installed to mainboard. Opening allows the PCH to breathe:

I wonder do other motherboards have similar issues?

I’m running Ubuntu Linux 19.10 with 5.3.0-51 kernel. Default I think? There is no problem there I didn’t have to do anything. I plan to upgrade later on to 20.04. One issue is that TUF motherboard temp sensors aren’t showing any data. Only k10temp is shown. This might be that I’m running old version of lm-sensors 3.5 which came with 19.10. Also there are some pointers on Arch linux for X570 – lm-sensors. I had the nct6775 -module loaded but it didn’t help. I have to check those kernel parameters. Arch linux link: lm_sensors - ArchWiki

I changed the stock cooler to Fractal desing AIO which have used on Piledriver system. Ryzen mounting kit had different mounting parts and spacers / shims to mounting springs I changed those. Seems to be working fine. Maybe temps are bit high 65C Tdie on prime load. I dunno there is confusing information what is good and what is not. One annoyance is that Tdie temp or Tctl which ever is used to control fans. It ramps up fast as the internal CPU rises quickly. Stock cooler was pretty silent at idle but even launching Firefox ramps up the fan. I did custom fan curve for AIO where it keeps low RPM (35%) to 55C and then rises to 65C to 50% and then there is high curve to 70C 100%. That seems to keep temps pretty reasonable 35-55C (normal desktop use) and noise level is pretty quiet and fans don’t ramp up and down constantly.

I did some Phoronix test runs and they confirmed that single core performance is roughly 2x of the FX-6300. Multicore is much better as there are many more cores. Phoronix link ‘default’ is Fx-6300 on default settings and ‘ryzen_aio’ is new system (also on default settings): Phoronix test suite - openbenchmarking results.

I have sort of mixed feelings about this system. I sort of expected better single core results even though I had read the test which stated 2x improvement. So linux gaming wasn’t really hugely improved. Maybe 2x FPS I have to test more. Normal desktop performance is pretty similar maybe somewhat snappier. This boots faster. It seems that for normal web browsing / desktop work this CPU is pretty much overkill. 1-2 cores do something while others just idle in the background. Maybe money would have been better spent just by buying new m.2 drive for Piledriver… At least for desktop / office type work, would have been lot cheaper. Htop looks cool though :wink:

Build pic:

1 Like

I don’t think that’s an issue here, to be honest. But yeah, almost all X570 boards have a chipset fan and when you block that, it might get a bit warm.

Well, if it’s the same GPU… Maybe the expectations are the problem here. :wink:

The aerodynamicist in me says, you should cover the hole back up now you’ve cut it back, reducing turbulence, flow over the boundary layer will then be more laminar.

Well on second look, cancel that.

Yes. Most of the other boards don’t have the fan right near the GPU slot though. There was maybe 3-4mm of fan side showing originally.

It could be worse if one would install card that comes closer to fan. Maybe something like:

True GPU is still same old. It’s next on upgrade list. Single core performance in general was still underwhelming for me at least. Only double on 7 years…

Things are pretty optimized in many ways. This isn’t the early days of X86 anymore. Again “expectations”. :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.