Random rebooting and other issues

Hello,my pc has been having problems lately. It started with just some random ticking noice from my hdd, so i backed upp the data. Then it dissapeared, and only shows upp sometimes.

And then it started to spin up, then stop, then spin upp again, and continued to do so until i unplugged it, my dvd burner allso had the same problem, so i suspect that problem has to do with my psu, which is quite old.

Then when i switched out my old fan to a NF-F12 i notised that the fans hooked upp to my fan controller only spins upp when it's set on low.

I have had random crashes in programs like chrome, firefox, Samsung kies, itunes. And windows 8 has started to randomly reboot. And every so often the compuer just freeses for a minute.

So should i buy a new psu and check if it fixes the hdd, dvd burner and fan problems?      (i dont have access to another psu to see if it fixes the problems) What could the software problems be caused by?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm using windows 8 90 day trial version while waiting for my windows installation cd to arrive in the mail.

My pc specs are:

CPU: Amd Phenom 2 x4 965 Black Edition

CPU cooler: Antec h2o 620

GPU: Msi GeForce GTX 770

RAM: 8 Gb Corsair Dominator

PSU: Cooler Master 1000w Platinum

MOBO: Asus M5A78L LE

when windows 8 arrives, reinstall all, the psu is fine as the rest of the pc

if you have any overclock remove it, or also downclock

and check for dust

I started having more crashes and then it windows crashed and my SSD disappeared from the bios. I tried switching sata data and power cable but it didnt help, i then switched to a molex and molex to sata adapter and i got the SSD to show upp. I then ran Iobit advanced sytem care and got my system to be more stable, allmost no crashes now. My HDD allso showed up in the bios and in windows but it keeps spinning, not spinning, spinning and so on.

I dont have any overclock, and there is no dust. ill reinstal when it arrives.

Thanks.