Random metallic click noise when driving planar-magnetics too high? (HifiMan Deva Pro)

Hey there,

my Deva Pros randomly click (in a metallic way) if I seemingly drive them too high, at least I think it could either be:

• that planar-magnetics can be driven with high output but instead of distorting they click??? (idk, need help)
  • or they have a manufacturing defect, could also be the jack as the one on the clicking side is a little more loose than the other one (there is one cable per ear cup, the problematic one is a dual or TRRS one though)

I use a Schiit Modi DAC + Schiit Loki HW EQ + Schiit Magni 3 AMP.
The Deva Pros should have 18 Ohms, the AMP makes 2.8W on 16 Ohms. I have the AMP on around 75-80% all the time. That should be around 2.24W per channel, if the potentiometer is linear. There is basically no distortion noticeable, they sound beautiful and with that setting the bass also feels the best.

Any idea on why it might click?

When the large diaphragm of the planar moves a lot of air (as it would in your case) and is not tightened evenly, it will make clicking or crinkling noises.

2 Likes

Interesting! This happens mostly if no (just plain static from the input of my PC) or really quiet music is played - is this now more a manufacturing defect (because it is loose/not tightened evenly) or expected behavior?

I am more leaning expected behaviour.
I know the HEDDphone also has “driver crinkle”. With large or complex shapes, it is hard to prevent.

And entirely preventing it will lead to some interesting compression artifacts a lot of the “premium” chinese planar headphones exhibit.

1 Like

Based on watching audio YouTubers and I’ve watched alot in the last year, anyone that has reviewed a planar of any sort never mentioned a clicking sound. Most of the people I watch absolutely will rail on a product if it isn’t good, so if they got one that had issues it would have been mentioned.

My unprofessional opinion is you got a bad one.

2 Likes

Then it’s not being overdriven. Possibly it’s some sort of noise or a bad wire somewhere causing a random spike, or it could be something in the driver that’s damaged. You could try different headphones or try them on a different amp to see if you can rule something out.

1 Like

Then it’s not being overdriven. Possibly it’s some sort of noise or a bad wire somewhere causing a random spike, or it could be something in the driver that’s damaged. You could try different headphones or try them on a different amp to see if you can rule something out.

I already used my AMP/DAC/EQ combo for three years with my DT990s and never had any problems. I don’t think that should be the issue, but that’s still a good point.

I have the HE-5XXs and have never heard anything g but clear sound.

To me it sounds like a bad connection, as it is connecting it gets an “inrush current” and it cases the driver to pop.

But I have never experienced this so I don’t know. I am.just guessing based on the very quiet pops some times if you are wearing the headphones as you plug them in.

I’ve sent them in by now, waiting for a diagnosis

No diagnosis, got a replacement today, the TRRS jack definitely sits tightly on this one! I’ll use them and let you know if I still hear something now. Listened only for around an hour now and had one click noise.

Interesting enough, while waiting for my Deva PROs to return I used my HD668-B’s, and they clicked once or twice too (or I am just starting to get crazy lol)

1 Like

The clicking is way less and pretty okay for me, looks like a defect on the previous one for me. Sadly it seems that the left diaphragm is kinda more loose and if you drive them really hard it vibrates in a metallic sound, but that’s with around 2 Watts from the AMP soo, I think I am okay now :upside_down_face: