RAM problem

Ok my first post, heres the dealeo..

On my old pc im running a Asrock 740i chip set mobo (http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=N7AD-SLI), with OCZ DDR2 RAM (http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_ddr2_pc2_6400_sli_ready_edition_dual_channel)

Whenever i put more then one (2GB)stick onto the mobo, during a game, the computer will freeze. Sometimes its imediate sometimes its after a few minutes/hours.

I have run memetest and all seemed to have checked out.

I have swapped from each stick one at a time to see if its a certain stick or lane.

Some suggested it could be the timing on the BIOS, I have experimented with diffrent timings with no avail. The sticker for the RAM states [email protected] but the OCZ website says 4-4-4-15 1T.

This problem have been occuring since i've had this mobo, I know it could be a fault with the hardware its self but jus wanted to post it here just incase it was something obvious.

Heres the rest of my specs.

Windows 7 ultimate

Q6600 @ stock speeds

Corsair HX650

EVGA GTX 260 Core 216

Many thanks

What, youre putting in another stick WHILE playing games??

GreenSLi said:

lol proper grammar goes a long way and doesn't start confusion, I think he means if he has more then 2GB's in then his game screws up.

Are you running a 32 or 64bit OS?

And does your motherboard recognize the extra ram at all?

I'm just gonna say that judging from my RAM experiences with OCZ, it's the RAM itself.

Every set of OCZ RAM I've owned has been complete junk. Errors, freezing, bluescreens, etc.

Try some G.Skill or any other brand and I bet your problems will disappear.

GreenSLi said:

*facepalm

Humorus Prawn said:

lol proper grammar goes a long way and doesn't start confusion, I think he means if he has more then 2GB's in then his game screws up.

Yeah it shows up in the bios and windows recognises it.Im on 64 bit

Abstract said:

I'm just gonna say that judging from my RAM experiences with OCZ, it's the RAM itself.

Every set of OCZ RAM I've owned has been complete junk. Errors, freezing, bluescreens, etc.

Try some G.Skill or any other brand and I bet your problems will disappear.

Yeah i've had that feedback before.

Was hoping for a fix that didnt involve $$$. I'd rather not spend money on this system, if I shell out a couple hundred on some good RAM, I might as well jus get a new mobo + CPU.. No point upgrading last generation tech.

And before anyone asks yeah I need more then 2GB lol

I'd say the RAM itself is the problem as well. Do you have any friend or what ever from who you might be able to borrow 2 stick and test, see how it goes?

But yeah, I've had OCZ RAM die on me...I'd say it's a hardware fault.

Did you ran Memtest to be certain for failures?

Humorous Prawn...practice what you preach,after all proper grammar goes a long way and doesn't start confusion.I suggest flashing to the latest bios and see where that gets you.Some motherboards are finicky when it comes to memory brands.Also why in the world would you buy a 740i over a 750i...not much price difference and the 750i is far more stable.Good luck!!!

Humorus Prawn said:

My OCZ ram has blown my server's motherboard 3 times, I really dont recommend the brand anymore.

I've had no issue with g.skill, and my ram from them has worked without a hitch for well over a year.

Also update your bios....that may be a good fix.

C@rnage said:

Humorous Prawn...practice what you preach,after all proper grammar goes a long way and doesn't start confusion.I suggest flashing to the latest bios and see where that gets you.Some motherboards are finicky when it comes to memory brands.Also why in the world would you buy a 740i over a 750i...not much price difference and the 750i is far more stable.Good luck!!!

I got that mobo for free after my Asus Striker II Formula died. Ill try the new bios, if it doesnt work I'll just put up with 2 gb until I build a new computer.

Appologies for causing confusion at the start, I posted this from my phone and didnt really proof read before hitting send.

Thanks again for all the feedback.