RAM for RyZen workstation

Hi
I am new here and currently in the process of building a workstation based on the 1700X.
I plan to use it mostly for coding in C/C++/C# and working with virtual machines, as well as fooling around with small databases/data warehousing.

My build looks something like this: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/vkZzjc
Please note that due to availability, some parts (like the cooler) are substituted​ with the closest thing I could find on pcpp, my actual​ parts list does not have any compatibility issues.
The only part I do not already own or haven't ordered yet is the RAM, but I've narrowed it down to two options:
A 16gb ddr4-3000 kit (kingston HX430C15PB3K2/16) or
Two sticks of 8gb ddr4-2400 (ecc, kingston KVR24E17S8/8MA)

There is a lot of conflicting information about Ryzens ECC support: amd_james over on reddit said the prime x370 supports it (which is why I got it) and so does the motherboard box, but the webpage says it doesn't and other manufacturers say their motherboards will post but won't actually use the RAM in ECC mode.
After googling around, i found a post of someone testing ECC by overclocking his RAM just enough to produce some error messages in linux, indicating that it does work.
Link (german): https://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/f11/wieder-mal-typisch-ryzen-kann-ecc-aber-aktuell-kein-mainboard-mit-ecc-support-1154800-7.html#post25385390
Afaik wendell has not quite confirmed ECC to be working (please correct me if I'm wrong).
But while I'm confident that ECC will work, the thing that made me hesitate buying my last components is the low frequency and high timings typically seen on ECC memory.

My question is: is it worth giving up ECC favor of better frequencies and timings or are the differences too small to be worth noting?

The system is checking for errors as you go and that has an overhead. You will take a small hit in performance with ECC, but it usually is a very small hit compared to non ECC.

You could buy 2666Mhz ECC. That might be worth looking into.

2 Likes