RAM for 3rd gen Ryzen - G. Skill, Team or Crucial?

once you start going above 3800 the advantages are negated by the limitations of infinity fabric and you have to get to 4400+ to make up for it.

2 Likes

This is true, but their timings tends to be kinda all over the place, and they also have to decrease their F-clock

Indeed, and from my side i’m not seeing a lot of improvement from 3200mhz to 3600mhz, tighter timings can make up for frequency.

Oh definitely, above CL20 most of the time, its more of an exercise for them it seems.

1 Like

agreed, if you can get some 3600mhz at CL18\CL16, that seems to be the sweetspot from what ive tested, heck, even my 3700x did hit 4.7ghz with 4 sticks of ram running 3600mhz CL16, with cheapass Corsair ram

1 Like

well the advantage to the higher frequency is the higher infinity fabric clock right? so as that goes up you gain speed not only between ram but also between each ccx. Not everything you do takes advantage of this and the difference between 3200 and 3600 isnt much… but it is something.

I say just get a kit and be happy. You’re not going to be able to perceive the difference between 3000/3200/3600 in day to day usage.

1 Like

that depends, some XMP profiles turns down your F-Clock

thats totally dependent on the board though. so long as you stay 3600 and below you shouldnt see a problem.

And to be painfully sincere, even in games i’m not noticing a lot of difference.
I tried that 3600mhz Xtreem on 3200mhz and it runs everything as good as 3600mhz, specially if i lower the timings to like CL14, which is the XMP on some Trident Z kits.

1 Like

yeah a gaming workload isnt going to show a ton of difference.

yup, thats why i said “some” XMP profiles, XMP shouldnt be the norm tho, XMP is to unstable

totally true, ramspeed past 3200 doesnt matter much in gaming workloads, but PC enthusiast doesnt tend to care about that tho, hahaha

1 Like

I normally ignore XMP and set the RAM manually on Ryzen, back when i had my Biostar X470GT8 nothing worked on XMP.
The ASRock i’m running right now has no issues with XMP profiles, but i still like to set everything manually.

1 Like

i like you more and more

1 Like

that’s because we like to see large numbers on benchmarks lol

And that is the bulk of what i do with this system, i may edit some video in the future with it, but nothing extremely demanding.

just go single rank single stick and clock it to the moon.

1 Like

I think i got that wrong, a single, 32gb stick?
Its possible, i guess…

a 3600 kit will set you back the same as 3200 kit tho, so i personally would go with the 3600 one, so you have something to tinker with on boring days, you know, those days when the girlfriend is out of town

1 Like

my wife is currently yelling at portugese, she doesnt like reading ram timings, hahahaha

no, a 32 gb wouldnt be single rank. gotta go single rank if you want the big dick overclocks.

1 Like

Some will, i think the only kit i found for cheaper than all of those is the first Ripjaws V i listed, its on ML for R$889