RAM Cache and what it can do for you

For the read speeds, will I notice faster boot load times and turn offs?

FYI, linux uses RAM to cache disk access by default...

No, it doesn't actually help outside of the OS, as the program is started every time you login, it actually slows down login and shutdown a little bit. Less noticeable on SSD but it's still there.

Yes and this is for Windows users who don't have the option of running Linux. Like me because Broadcom Wireless AC drivers do not exist for the Linux kernel that are compatible with the Asus Wireless PCE-AC66 card. Attempting to install the bcmwl kernel drivers with this specific wireless AC device results in a driver error and system crash.

Until the new versions of Linux distributions with a Broadcom wireless AC fully compatible kernel driver are released, I'm up shit creek without a paddle.

I refuse to give up my PCI slot Creative X-FI Xtreme gamer sound card for a Linksys WMP54G PCI wireless G card I have that is completely compatible with Linux with my system only having 1 PCI slot. The Realtek onboard sound on this Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0 is utter trash compared to my 8 year old PCI sound card.

So would this be useful for video editing off of a 5400rpm HDD? Would givingĀ it 2 gigs would that be a good way to have faster video loading?

More RAM = better with RAM Caching. 2GB isn't going to amount to much on the write side of an HDD as you will fill up the RAM before you even get all of the video footage in the RAM. As most H.264 files at 24 Mb/s bitrate are approximately 21.6 Gigabytes per hour of footage.

2GB RAM Cache is enough to cache the reads from a HDD and pretty much nothing else, it's worthless for deferred writes as it will actually slow down your PC when attempting to write files larger than the Cache size. If you aren't willing to spend money on 32GB or more depending on your system's maximum RAM Capacity, I wouldn't bother with RAM Caching for video editing.