Raid OS

I have two matching SSD drives and i want to install a ubuntu desktop in raid-0 for s&g. Do i have to install ubuntu-server then install gnome-desktop after or is there another option now?

The Desktop installer will recognize the raid, no need for custom settings, just choose raid mode in the BIOS and install normally.

1 Like

I would avoid using hardware raid and instead install ubuntu on the disks with btrfs in a mirror. That way you get data integrity as well as just availability.

1 Like

The advertized raid on my board is some kind of Intel/windows thing that linux doesn’t like.

This is on a burner desktop so if the install goes no biggy, i thought Btrfs was done. Would i have to create a paired swap partition on each drive?

Is there any downside to installing ubuntu server?

Btrfs will be the new Linux standard files system replacing ext4, it’s not done. They’re still working on the raid5/6 parity stuff but for single disks and mirrors its perfectly stable.

If the install doesn’t give you the option to set it up as a mirror (which it should) you can just install it to a single disk with btrfs and then add the second disk as a mirror once it’s installed.

You can install Ubuntu server if you want. The difference is it doesn’t come with a desktop environment installed and a bunch of server software installed by default. You can install a desktop environment on Ubuntu server and you can install any of the Ubuntu server software on the desktop version, they both use the same repository the only difference is what’s installed by default.

In the desktop installation, are the raid options available? Does Btrfs require swap? (i got 8GeeBees of ram)

I don’t know, I assume so, they both have similar install options. Not sure how the installer deals with swap with btrfs mirrors. I’d guess it creates atleast one swap partition on one of the disks. You don’t have to have swap if you don’t want but you probably should.

For some reason I thought you wanted raid1. You can do raid 0 with btrfs too but you’ll have to do it during the installation, you won’t be bale to add a second disk later. Or you can use md but I’d recommend btrfs over md

It is also worth noting that you cannot boot from a btrfs partition so you’ll need to partition to handle the boot directory/efi on one of the disks or a separate disk and obviously to the same note you can’t use btrfs for swap either as the subvolumes cannot be anything other than btrfs.

You could create a file to use as swap on the btrfs partition though although you may not be able to hibernate.

1 Like

Raid-1 in zfs will give you 2x speed on reads. Dunno if btrfs does the same, but since ZFS is aware of both which disk is which, and of the data that’s on them, it will read at raid-0 speeds while configured for redundancy. Writes are still single-drive speed. I’d go zfs, if I were you, though kernel upgrades can be problematic, so you may be better off with ext4 for booting, then zfs everything else.

1 Like

Thanks for all the pointers. As i said this is a burner install, don’t care if it corupts. I have spinning drives for everything else. I just have extra hardware and want faster game loads and more storage. I do install the lowlatency desktop off of the mainline kernel religiously. Maybe a server install on ext4 raid-1 is the best because i get read speed, space and start to tinker with the server side. I don’t know if I want to F-around with quite yet ZFS or BtrFS yet.

You might check out the following to use the mobo raid in Linux,
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Installing_with_Fake_RAID

Would this provide better performance or stable raid, than the ubuntu software raid?

Thanks for the Link, lots of good info.

Wow, for shits and giggles I was going to pick up a 3rd ssd to my raid and the price by a factor of 2.5x WTF. I bought them 2-3 yrs ago.

EXT4 on MD RAID 0 would be the path of least resistance, especially if data integrity is no issue. Swap will install on top of MD no problem.

BTRFS is also an option. Not sure how it handles swap though.

Cant i just use the mobo raid? Recommended stripe size?

Does the installer recognize the mobo raid?

I go with the default stripe size unless a database is involved.

tumblr_m47qvqjmLs1r7r1l7o1_500

All done!! How do I close thread?