Raid 5 bad idea?

Yeah...I probably wouldn't do that without first using crashplan or something to make a backup.

DO IT!

Crashplan is great, but the backup speed was stuck at about 20mbps for me, so it will take a while. (I think it may have been my ISP limiting my uplink, but I can't be too sure)

Yeah...that's the one crappy thing about going offsite is you get throttled by your internet speed and I have 3.1TB of data to backup.

Oh, crashplan does have a feature where you can do your initial backup to a USB HDD and ship it to them and then that will set up the cloud backup.

Oh that's freaking awesome and probably faster than the internet, which is sad. Google fiber save us

1 Like

Yeah, I can't find the page for it, they may have discontinued the service... Sorry..

I used it with a 3TB drive and it definitely was faster than internet. took about 5 days to get the first 3TB up to crashplans servers. The last 5TB took almost 2 months.

ouch. Yeah if I have to upload it over the internet I'm not sure it's practical. I mean maybe but good lord that won't be fun.

That is not true, with LSI hardware RAID you can migrate RAID levels. I knew it was possible but not the specifics so I did a little research. It appears to be limited to RAID 0/1/10 to another RAID level like 5/6. It doesn't appear like you can migrate from RAID 5 to 6.

REF: http://hwraid.le-vert.net/raw-attachment/wiki/LSIMegaRAIDSAS/megacli_user_guide.pdf PAGE 110

Also you mentioned that you rebuilt two RAID 5 arrays. How big were they?

IMO, a ZFS mirror is the way to go. Just redundancy, but you get the read speed of raid0. Doesn't suit everyone, but raidz (raid5 style with zfs) works well too as a raid5 replacement.

One was a 500gig partition with quickbooks data on it.

The other was 3.5 tb of images.This one was really spooky because I had one drive die and one pending failure and had to rebuild off that pre-failure drive.

I can understand why the second one would be terrifying. That would be spoopy.

I'd definitely recommend it though, since crashplan does incremental backups at a chunk level, so if you slightly modify a 60GB file, it only sends the changed parts of that file. It's quite efficient once it's uploaded everything. If you're storing easily compressible files, it also increases the transfer speed.

99% of the stuff is h.264 some of it is theora as well. It's probably not that compressible since all those formats are compressed already.

Ah. that's not going to help your upload time.

I've found that it's very practical once the data is up. Even if I add an entire 400GB worth of TV show, it only takes a couple days to sync it back. Plus, it copies the recently changed small files first, so your media takes a lower priority in the upload.

Hmm ok. I'll probably give it a go. The price isn't bad and the only downside I can think of is the original upload time.

If you're skeptical, talk to a rep about the refund policy. I don't know what it is off the top of my head.

Hmmm ok.

i'm looking for a new 1TB HDD,
can anyone help me to find the best one?

3TB drives have the best $/capcity at the moment but if all you need is 1TB then go to PCPartPicker and find the cheapest and compare the Amazon reviews with each other.