Radeon VII or Geforce GTX 2070?

• Ryzen 7 2700X
  • G.Skill Flare X DDR4-3200 14-14-14-34
  • ASRock Fatal1ty B450 GAMING K4

Depends how ryzen friendly the game is, but maximum frame rate (at low resolution) on ryzen will be lower than an 8700k generally.

Minimums may be better or worse depending on the game.

Either way you’ll generally be over 100 fps in 1080p or maybe even 1440p depending on the game, so the max frame rate deficit is kinda academic at that point.

At higher resolutions expect very little difference vs. intel.

you’ll get more out of a higher clocked intel part in games most likely but it will be “good enough”

It depends in what you are trying to do. If maximum FPS in cs:go or overwatch is what you’re after, your cpu is much more important. With my i5 6500 and gtx 1070ti I can play most modern games on 1440p fine when I’m after fidelity. But my cpu is struggling with anything above 130 FPS. No matter the settings. I can can go all low and 75% render scale on overwatch or go all high with 100% scale without a major change in FPS.

So depending on resolution and wether you want max FPS for competitive gaming or max fidelity for nice looking games, the answer can be very different.

Like @thro said:

At 4k, there will be no meaningful (if any) difference.

1 Like

Yup.

And in a lot of cases, the 1% lows on the 2700X are better.

Swings and roundabouts. Personally i find the minimums more important than max frame rate, as the minimums/stutters are what piss you off and lead to a bad experience. 100 vs. 120 fps (or 150 vs 170, or 150 vs. 200) is entirely irrelevant.

Dropped frames, or a minimum of say 50-60 instead of 25 or 30 is far more noticeable.

1 Like

Yeah, I play more single player games.

Funny you mention that. I have a 4K@60Hz Freesync monitor. I think it was one of the reason for me to try the Radeon VII out, that and the Linux driver support as well.

Then the CPU (as long as it is not some ancient two core) does not really matter.

When I read the title I was expecting some low end / older system.
But since you have a 2700X and plenty of RAM on a nice board.

No, It will not bottleneck it in any appreciable way.
You have nothing to worry about whatsoever and don’t let others put uneccessary doubt in your mind about it.

But whichever GPU you fancy and enjoy. :smiley:

Merged them

Yeah, in iRacing stutters are brutal and can really create problems.