Radeon VII or Geforce GTX 2070?

Vega64 is a good card but Radeon VII is quite a bit faster. It is both pretty much the same architecture so support should be almost flawless already.

1 Like

Definitely.

All depends on your appetite for cost, performance and maturity.

Vega 64 has been out for a while, is cheaper and good enough for 1080p/1440p.

Radeon VII is a fair bit faster, but its drivers are a little less mature and it is more expensive.

Unless you’re running stuff in 4k i’d say either card is plenty…

If you’re looking to purchase any time soon I’d go Vega 56/64 over Navi at this point personally as Navi is another few months away (hardware wise) and then there will presumably be a couple of months of driver stuff to sort out, and THEN another few months for the distro to get official support, so you’re looking at probably anywhere between December '19/April '20 before Navi is properly stable in Linux, to get performance either similar to Vega 64 at less cost or only slightly faster. Which you can have today.

Which is a lot of waiting…

If you already have a 2070 though i’d just keep it and revisit next time.

Can confirm. :+1:

If you’re willing to turn a few details down a shade, Vega 64 runs 4k at “definitely playable” frame-rates just fine too (have one plugged into my living room TV plugged into a 4K TV and it runs great.

4k60 on ultra may be a struggle (depending on the game), but either 4k50 on ultra or 4k60+ with some settings dropped a tad is certainly achievable.

And IMHO for couch-type games that’s good enough.

I am coming from a 980 Ti. I have a Radeon VII coming from Amazon today. The price for a Vega 64 and Radeon VII was 100 bucks difference so I went with the Radeon VII. It’s just an update version of Vega 64, right?

2 Likes

AMD Share holder (small position) but Radeon 7 > 2070, and if going linux it makes it even more so imo

Rvii has lower power, higher clocks and better performance due to more hbm stacks which gives more memory bandwidth.

It does take some tuning to get the best out of it but it’s definitely worth it. Radeon profile works nicely. That said it is a bit of silicon lottery. I have a pretty good card with stock 1061mv but i still decided to go with custom cooling. With a morpheus and noctua fans it can do 2000/1200 at 1083mv while being inaudible. Higher is possible with a bit more noise but not necessary.

1 Like

Why are there 2 threads on this?

I understand what you’re trying, but please don’t create 2 almost identically named threads @haptizum.
If you want I can merge them for you or rename them.

1 Like
  • Ryzen 7 2700X
  • G.Skill Flare X DDR4-3200 14-14-14-34
  • ASRock Fatal1ty B450 GAMING K4

Depends how ryzen friendly the game is, but maximum frame rate (at low resolution) on ryzen will be lower than an 8700k generally.

Minimums may be better or worse depending on the game.

Either way you’ll generally be over 100 fps in 1080p or maybe even 1440p depending on the game, so the max frame rate deficit is kinda academic at that point.

At higher resolutions expect very little difference vs. intel.

you’ll get more out of a higher clocked intel part in games most likely but it will be “good enough”

It depends in what you are trying to do. If maximum FPS in cs:go or overwatch is what you’re after, your cpu is much more important. With my i5 6500 and gtx 1070ti I can play most modern games on 1440p fine when I’m after fidelity. But my cpu is struggling with anything above 130 FPS. No matter the settings. I can can go all low and 75% render scale on overwatch or go all high with 100% scale without a major change in FPS.

So depending on resolution and wether you want max FPS for competitive gaming or max fidelity for nice looking games, the answer can be very different.

Like @thro said:

At 4k, there will be no meaningful (if any) difference.

1 Like

Yup.

And in a lot of cases, the 1% lows on the 2700X are better.

Swings and roundabouts. Personally i find the minimums more important than max frame rate, as the minimums/stutters are what piss you off and lead to a bad experience. 100 vs. 120 fps (or 150 vs 170, or 150 vs. 200) is entirely irrelevant.

Dropped frames, or a minimum of say 50-60 instead of 25 or 30 is far more noticeable.

1 Like

Yeah, I play more single player games.

Funny you mention that. I have a 4K@60Hz Freesync monitor. I think it was one of the reason for me to try the Radeon VII out, that and the Linux driver support as well.

Then the CPU (as long as it is not some ancient two core) does not really matter.

When I read the title I was expecting some low end / older system.
But since you have a 2700X and plenty of RAM on a nice board.

No, It will not bottleneck it in any appreciable way.
You have nothing to worry about whatsoever and don’t let others put uneccessary doubt in your mind about it.

But whichever GPU you fancy and enjoy. :smiley:

Merged them

Yeah, in iRacing stutters are brutal and can really create problems.