Radeon RX Vega 56 and Vega 64 Retail Editions: First Benchmarks (Games, Mining, Impressions) | Level One Techs

Some seem to describe it as Plastic, others as “mostly metal”. I think the sides of the Black shroud is metal while the top textured part is plastic. I don’t think it makes much difference either way for cooling.

Edit as Techpowerup notes, the metal parts (backplate is metal, but with no thermal contact) help making the card very sturdy, no sagging in their laser test.

Another idea: I would be interested in the actual performance differences between the primary and secondary bios on Vega64.

I allready did a vrm pcb analysis on the FE edition a while back.
And posted that in @noenken Vega anything topic.
The Vega 56 and 64 share the same pcb from what i see.

I’m personally a bit dissapointed about how the Vega cards currentlly perform in gaming.
Of course driver optimizations in the future will improve performance a bit.
But i was expecting a littlebit more then what it currentlly does.
Because we had to wait for this so long.
Still i dont see any reasons not to buy it, if the prices are right.

Vega 56 is probablly the best value for money, if you can get it cheaper as a GTX1070.

Im just not sure how much magic AIB’s are going to be able to work with this card… I really don’t want to go team green and have to buy another monitor down the road but thats a possibility. Good news is my job isn’t all that stable and the case I want CM H500P is still not due out for at least 45 to 60 days THEN I want to see reviews on it so I have time.

Yes, but I have read that 56 has a different bios that knee caps it. Also it uses Hynix HBM2 which isn’t able to clock as high. Whether that is a bios limitation or Hynix under performs I don’t know.