Radeon RX Vega 56 and Vega 64 Retail Editions: First Benchmarks (Games, Mining, Impressions) | Level One Techs

Definitely a sad launch for me. I hoped to see a bit more improvement over Frontier Edition with the added bonus of Vega Specific drivers rolling around. V56 looks to be an okay option, depending on availability and price’s of partner produced cards. Still, V56 looks to be not that much faster, and still power hungry.

Although with Ethereum and Bitcoin doing well again, good fucking luck buying V56 or V64. I don’t think a $100 premium will stop all miners from going for those gpu’s reserved only for “pack” sales.

(didn’t notice I was replying to you Kat, my bad)

2 Likes

Top kek

1 Like

This bothers me more than it should.

3 Likes

the numbers are probably backwards.

Would love to see how the previously reviewed Wasabi Mango UHD400 works with these. Both 56 & 64.
Might opt for AMD after all, if Freesync works well with this combo.

One thing that should be remembered is that AMD cards become faster with age, which means that the Vega cards could surpass their Nvidia equivalent.

Unfortunately, no SR-IOV though ;-(

I doubt Vega will see the same level of jump over time as the HD 7950 did.

Why? Its Terflop value isn’t bad and I’m sure there is room for improvements on the driver side of things.

I just watched the review below and the rx 56 seems to match a Geforce 1080 in Total War: Warhammer and Dirt 4. While I don’t think that the rx 56 will match the 1080 in general, it may show that there is some room for improvement. (Unless of course, the author did something wrong).

@wendell Have you guys tested if tile based rendering is turned on with the RX vega drivers?

1 Like

+1 That is interesting.

I thought AMD said that tile-based rendering was being enabled on Vega 64, 56, and FE with the Vega release driver?

Trust, but verify.

AMD did promise a lot, plenty that they have yet to deliver. The fabled 2X perf increase per clock for the “New” Compute Unit for example. Or the increased performance per Watt.

Also, computerbase seems to claim that the primitive shader/discard is also not working/disabled. They’ve talked to AMD about it? My German is atrocious, so waiting for confirmation that it isn’t just a translation error.

https://www.computerbase.de/2017-08/radeon-rx-vega-64-56-test/#abschnitt_10_vorteile_der_vegaarchitektur

It’s not, your translation is correct. So there is another disabled feature that might improve performance and/or efficiency.

Huh, apparently Ryan Smith from Anandtech claims AMD told him that it is working/enabled. I give up, not sure it even matters now.

https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/amd-vega-hardware-reviews.60246/page-45#post-1995903

Edit: Ryan Smith also wrote that he ran Kanters trianglebin and found nothing conclusive. So still in the dark I guess…

Quick question: The standard Vega cooler, the black one, is that metal or plastic?

The black shroud is plastic IFAIK.

Gamers Nexus did a tear-down video the other day:

I thought so too at first but it doesn’t look like that. So, … how for goes your knowledge?

Shroud is plastic, Limited ED has a metal shroud. Baseplate is ofc metal on both.

I just skipped through the video and I believe you are wrong. Jump to 11:00 and listen, that does not sound like a plastic shroud.