Radeon GPU passthrough without CPU masking

Hi guys,

Quick question for anyone who has experience in this, does the RX series support GPU pass through without masking CPUID? I am wanting to do some testing with AMD GPU’s in Server 2016 Hyper V. Hyper V does not support masking CPU ID, so your GPU driver needs to allow running in a HyperV (eg GTX GPU’s throw up a error 43)

Can anyone confirm?

Thanks!

You don’t need to configure the GPU at all. You just need to tell the host system not to grab it when initialising.

At least with AMD on Linux. With nvidia you have to lie about using virtualisation.

In VMWARE that would be done with CPUID masking, i think. (I only use kvm and the terminology is a bit different.)

No one seems to have ever passed through a Radeon GPU with Server 2016 Hyper V… I don’t want to pay $$$ for it not to work :frowning:

I’m not sure if it works with Hyper-V in particular, but the AMD drivers aren’t gimped to fail in VMs like the Nvidia ones.

Ok, that’s essentially what I needed to know, do you have documentation to suggest that’s in fact the case? Google hasn’t been helpful… :slight_smile:

Not able to find any specific documentation, but Level1Techs has a video where they use Radeon GPUs for passthrough and specifically state that they don’t need spoofing like the Nvidia cards.

Cheers mate, do you also know if radeon supports virtual displays? Eg importing an edid file to a display adapter?

Not entirely sure. If you’re using a Linux guest, it should be possible to accomplish that with Xorg, similar to what’s done here.

Unfortunately not a Linux guy, this is for a project building a low cost gaming data centre, where we need the OS to believe there is a physical display attached :slight_smile:

you’d be better off asking serverfault.

I’ve dabbled a bit with this in the past, the following is mostly heresay, but I believed those who I discussed it with:

You should be able to get AMD cards to passthru without too many problems on Hyper-V server 2016. Nvidia most definately won’t as the drivers block it.

1. If running Windows VM’s to passthru to, the drivers Win 10 downloads by default probably won’t work, the proper AMD drivers should.
  2. The HMDI/Display-port audio might not passthru.

From my own experience I can confirm that at present Hyper-V on Windows 10 Pro does not support passthru, only RemoteFX, which works well enough for DirectX (not good enough for serious gaming) but lacks any support for OpenGL.

about 4 months ago I ended up putting a Quadro m2000 in a VM, works great. Just wanted to get more Perf/$.

It’s a real shame that they don’t support it in Windows 10 hyper v, It would be a really cool way to share your gaming rig with a friend

Agreed on that. This is both Nvidia and MS keeping ‘power’ features out of the hands of casual enthusiasts.

One point to note is MS do allow use of hyperV 2016 server for free to compete with VMware. This is essentially server core with just the HyperV feature enabled. You could probably use this with AMD gaming cards to build a multi user gaming rig.

It’s a good idea, would make a cool build, a Ryzen box (so there are enough cores) with a couple 570/580’s with Hyper V running like you said with a couple Windows 10 installs running with the GPU’s passed through. I work for a company called Parsec which makes streaming tech so we could have player 2 over the internet rather than them both physically attached.