R9 390x has garbage performance on Linux - please help

That’s good to know. My system is probably internally disfigured from all sorts of random thing’s I’ve done but it’s running some important stuff I’m not keen on having to set up from scratch so I’m hoping to recover this system without a re-install. Usually that would be my first option.

At one point I was using the Padoka PPA but in so having it installed, that broke some system update and I barely managed to recover from that. It’s now removed and I’m back in some new system-breaking driver configuration with regards to apt-get stuff.

As it turns out, I don’t think I can log in with Xorg - only Walyand options log in.

Was this an in-place upgrade from 18.04? And what kind of Ubuntu?

Yes, from command line. Ubuntu 64 Desktop IIRC.

Ubuntu 64?

Well… yeah? not 32-bit - Just the standard Ubuntu Desktop you download from https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

4.18.0-16-generic #17-Ubuntu SMP Fri Feb 8 00:06:57 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

This was one of the guides I tried:

Like is it vanilla Ubuntu, with Unity as your DM, or Gnome, Budgie, LXDE, KDE, etc?

It was a previous upgrade from Ubuntu GNOME 17.xx (whichever version was before the two merged) and now I have both vanilla Ubuntu and GNOME Wayland & Xorg login options (4 total).

It could be the multiple DE’s causing conflicts. Usually, you only want one DE at a time.

However, in that thread you can see I commented about the powerstates being fixed in >=4.9 kernel version.

How do I change the power states?

One moment, I need to dig them up.

2 Likes

Here ya go

1 Like

I’m getting this:

./fixGPU.sh: line 21: /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_dpm_force_performance_level: Permission denied
./fixGPU.sh: line 22: /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_dpm_state: Permission denied

:~$ ls /sys/class/drm/card0/device/
    ari_enabled           class                     d3cold_allowed  driver           enable         i2c-0  i2c-3  index  local_cpulist  msi_bus    power   reset      resource2     revision   subsystem_device  vendor
    boot_vga              config                    device          driver_override  firmware_node  i2c-1  i2c-4  irq    local_cpus     msi_irqs   remove  resource   resource2_wc  rom        subsystem_vendor
    broken_parity_status  consistent_dma_mask_bits  dma_mask_bits   drm              graphics       i2c-2  i2c-5  label  modalias       numa_node  rescan  resource0  resource4     subsystem  uevent

don’t forget to use sudo

Oh wait you don’t have those files

Yeah I ran them manually with sudo - no dice.

Hmmmmmm.

Are my boot parameters correct?

radeon.si_support=0 radeon.cik_support=0 amdgpu.si_support=1 amdgpu.cik_support=1 amdgpu.dc=1 amdgpu.dpm=1

Oh perhaps it’s because it’s card1 - there’s an iGPU as well:

:~$ ls /sys/class/drm/
card0/          card0-HDMI-A-1/ card0-HDMI-A-3/ card1/          card1-DP-3/     card1-DVI-D-1/  renderD128/     ttm/
card0-DP-1/     card0-HDMI-A-2/ card0-VGA-1/    card1-DP-2/     card1-DP-4/     card1-HDMI-A-4/ renderD129/     version

Update: yup that did the trick… going to test now

1 Like

It’s set to high but I’m getting 2fps on Unigine Valley even so.

I’ve got the Radeon Profile utility running as well and the temps are 60c idle doing nothing so this doesn’t really seem like a win even if it worked.

Is the AMDGPU driver in use by the 390? Blacklisting radeon via blacklist.conf never worked for me on Ubuntu. What’s the output of lspci -k?

These were the boot parameters I used from the arch wiki:
radeon.cik_support=0 amdgpu.cik_support=1 amdgpu.dpm=1 amdgpu.dc=1