Return to Level1Techs.com

R9 290 fan issue

helpdesk

I’m new to the forum as i figured you’d be the right people to ask for help.

My now aging MSI r9 290 is starting to fail spinning up the fans on boot. This has happened a couple of time and crashed the PC. I can temporarily fix it by manually spinning them after its booted but would anyone know why this would happen if they happily spin when pushed? I dont really want to buy a new card right now so any help or advice would be appreciated

Is it dirty/dusty at all? They are getting on a bit now, I have the sapphire TriX 290. It could be a small bit of dirt just stopping the fans, they don’t have a lot of torque.

I did manage one of these finger fans for probably year and then one careless mistake made it melt to hot glue

Soo, beware that, you dont want hot plastic glue

That said, if I’d have to manage one NOW, I would set fan curve higher from bottom to make sure it never stops, and if nothing else you’ll hear it stopping

:mage:t2:
40% 0C
100% 75C

Thanks, it seems pretty clean and i do occasionally clean it and repaste it but i might take it out and have a look. For what i use it for its plenty of GPU so im hoping its nothing serious

It isn’t serious, most likely. Fans get old, they die. It’s not getting enough umpf to start itself.

The most likely solution would to just go online (ebay), find the fans for your GPU, and replace them.

I really doubt there’s anything wrong with the GPU or power delivery.

I recently replaced the fans on my 290x as they were making a lot of noise. Probably ball bearings worn.

The’re pretty cheap, and easy to replace. So I’d give it a go :smiley:

Thanks everyone, i’ll look into it

Get the gelid PCI-E video card to 4 pin PWM adapter and some really high quality 140MM fans. Zip tie on after removing the old fans and plastic shroud. I dropped temps 20-30deg C this way.