R9 280X GPU clock speed stuck at 500MHz

That makes me think it definitely a software issue since it works fine on some applications. Do you have access to another capable card to further trouble shoot? When I had issues with my R9 290x I was fortunate to have access to an extra card (HD 7970).

Could it be the motherboard? There is a known issue with ASUS motherboards and some Tahiti based GPUs. My friend thought his 7950s had died, but when he RMA'd them Powercolor said they worked just fine. He also had some issues with the 280s that they replaced them with. I would try to see if the problem is replicated on a different system with the same drivers. It may mean that you need to update your BIOS.

i have the matrix 7970, i get 60 fpson ultra on battlefield and struggle to get 60 on lol and csgo as the gpu clock is stuck at 501mhz, any help?

I just got the same error. locked at 500 mhz. on my r9 280x. I was running afterburner and installed amd overdrive, just started to make some changes and wham screen went blank! I had to hard reset to clear and reboot. I saw briefly an error that said something like driver error I had also just installed 17.10 beta driver. haven’t been able to change core clock, Haven’t had a chance to rollback drivers had to go to work. I am assuming it is a driver issue.

yea yea I know 3 years to late…