R720 died, in the market for upgrade, lets talk!

My much loved homelab r720 is no more. It was a dual socket Xeon E5-2680 v2, 128gb ECC ram monster running esxi that I used for everything. Dozens of linux servers, a few windows machines, plex, docker, Splunk development, pfsense, Elacticsearch, etc. Note, it was just running an extra plex server and connecting to my main plex/ unraid server for content.

Now, I want an upgrade and I’m eyeballing Threadripper Pro or Epyc in a rack mounted configuration. IPMI would be nice as I really enjoyed iDRAC for remote management. I’m not partial to esxi free version because I can obtain a free copy of MS Server 2019. Would be nice to have enough pci slots for a gpu or two in direct passthrough, maybe lookingglass. Definitely raid, nvme would be nice for some fast io on a windows VM. Can’t talk the wife into a Gigabyte G482 Z50, but I can accept donations :).

Wendell, can you help me build something comparable in the 2-4k range?

What did actually fail, the mainboard, PSU, something else? Can you salvage any disks/GPU/CPU/RAM?

It just no longer posts. I stripped it down to minimum required (PSU, Motherboard, CPU1, 1 RAM Stick and Backplane) and still nothing. If I had to guess, it’s probably the motherboard and I’d rather have a fresh start.

I recently got some DELL R6515s for work. They’re nice.

Spec I got them in is 32 core EPYC (7742 rings a bell but I don’t have EPYC model numbers memorised) with 500 GB SSD mirror and 512GB RAM (they’ll be running VMs off a SAN).

Your spec may vary, but they seem to be the logical EPYC based successor to the R7XX series (chassis wise) which we were using before.

I think they’re available somewhere close to your budget (with lower specs obviously)?

Oh yeah these are 1 RU boxes. Insane for the processing power! :smiley:

I’m looking at this ASUS Pro WS WRX80E-SAGE SE WIFI for a threadripper pro build. Seems like it’d make a great workstation but feel it would provide what I’m looking for in a server.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.