R710 Optimal Setup

So I picked up an R710 and I want to set it up to be in its optimal configuration for my usecase. I typically host about 6-8 Docker containers on my homeserver. These include:

• NextCloud with WebDAV access
  • Matrix synapse server
  • Minecraft server
  • AirSonic (thinking of switching to Funkwhale) server accessing the files from NextCloud
  • Would like to do either Plex/Kodi accessing the files from NextCloud
  • Would like to host a mail server

The R710 has 8 2.5" drive bays, and I’m trying to figure out the best possible configuration of drives to put into it for what I need. I’d like about 2TB storage, and I’d like that storage to be duplicated in some way in-case of a drive failure. I’d also like to have some sort of external, compressed backup in-case I accidentally rm -rf / or something. I would like those to be full OS images, and I’d like to be able to store a few of them. I’m thinking about getting a large and slow external USB drive for that aspect.

As far as the internal drives, what is my best option? A pair of 2TB drives in RAID 1? Is there a better RAID for my purposes? Additionally, can I run the OS off an SSD not in RAID, but have two drives in RAID 1?

Should I encrypt the disks, or the home directory, or none? I use keybased auth so I’ve run into issues with the encrypted home directory and remote access after a power cycle.

The server will be connected to a pfSense firewall running on an old Dell optiplex. Is there any reason to run the Dockers in a separate VM from the host OS?

Should I configure the firewall to prevent the R710 from accessing the rest of my network?

If I want to host a mail server (thinking something like mailu) should I run the traffic through my Linode VPS?

Sorry for the weird amalgamation of questions, just easier to create one thread.

1. I have a PowerEdge t420 With an iperc h710 and on that controller you can set up the controller to isolate hard disks not in raid and our other disks in different raids from the life-cycle controller when you hit f10 on boot up.

2. Personally i would run as few virtual machines as possible but that is your own prerogative.

3. Unless your worried about someone physically stealing your drives i don’t see an advantage to an encrypted directory as it is(if i am not mistaken) unlocked when the machine operational which in most cases a server would be but it is always fun to try to build the most secure system possible.

4. The vps question is entirely biased on how often the server will be down and who is it serving if you have other people on it probably use the vps.

5. I cant see what configuring the firewall to prevent the R710 from accessing the rest of my network would accomplish or why you would want to therefore i don’t recommenced it sounds like a headache.

I’m not the most knowledgeable about this subject so take all of this with a bucket of road salt but i thought at least someone should answer.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.