R7 370 Overheating In Unigine, Fan mod, Watercooler needed? Card dead? No artifacts

So I am selling my RX 480 because I need some cash. Though I am atm hesitant now that I am getting pushback from my old gpu.

I need to reflow it I think, but I have a feeling it was just overheating before due to the fans not spinning. I am in Void Linux and I installed Radeon Profile. When I try the fan curve it fails to save to the card and the app just slowly ramps up to 100% while the card lies still. So FTM I have to have it locked. I had it at 100% for a while, now its just at 80. It was sitting at 74, no fans, now its at 44.

I stopped using it because it threw artifacts on the screen and made a mess rendering anything. I’m gunna run unigine heaven on it and see how it fairs.

Is there a way to “Flash” a fan profile to an Islands card? I don’t want to have to deal with this. At that, is there a way to flash power stages? I don’t care if I have to go to windows, thats irrelevant. As well, would flashing a 270X bios or a 370 bios from another company give me any results?

Thanks. Back with a video of the unigine run in a moment.

Well I am not going to do a video but it doesn’t artifact. Actually after a reboot it started working correctly. However before and after reboot running unigine heaven in linux it crashes to a black screen with the card being unretrievable after it crashes. It seemed to be at the same spot in the bench both tines and I was switching render settings around but…. That shouldn’t make it crash to black?

Hmmm also interesting note, when I apply fan profiles now it applies right now. Going to try unigine one more time to see if its just the specific scene

Well I have now strapped 2 80mm noctua fans to it and tried push and pull. Either I need fans with more oomph or something is wrong with this card making it heatramp. I’m going to give a water cooler a try as I want the temps to stay low and even. Water can soak up a lot of temperature. However the only watercooler I have is my H100I so I’ll be using, you guessed it, zip ties and a random piece of shit as a backplate.

However. To be fair, in most of my testing it only crashed when it overheated. And it only overheated when the fans weren’t spinning. For some reason this thing has now power ramping. It goes from 350 core 1400 memory straight to 1040 core 1800 memory. I have no ability to get at the overclocking features, so I wonder whats up.

Probably bad VRAM.
Nvidia has a diagnostics tool for identifying bad VRAM chips called MATS. There isn’t an official or even unofficial tool to do the same with AMD stuff but there is some stuff out there. No idea if it will work with a 370 but if it does it might help you narrow down the issue. Ремонт Sapphire NITRO+ RX480 на 8 Gb с использованием новой программы для тестирования видеопамяти АМД | Aperture Science (Portal 2)

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.