"Quick" and Dirty Guide to an Arch Linux installation

BUT I LIKE ARGUMENTS, AND IT WORKED FOR ME. D:

Edit: Nevermind, now it modprobed correctly.

Edit again: Still doesn't like being mounted.

When you boot to your flash drive or whatever, make sure you select "UEFI boot" not "USB boot"

So the BIOS says UEFI boot mode. The drive is listed as a USB_HDD.

modprobe efivars does nothing, but efivarfs works.

mounting either one tells me "special device efivars/efivarfs does not exist".

Attempting to install gummiboot still says "Failed to create EFI Boot variable".

The issue is definitely in your efivars, then. I installed it three times doing more-or-less the exact steps listed here, but let me crack open a VM, see what's going on. I do remember having some trouble with the EFI boot variable error. Are you running gummiboot install, or the command it spits at you when you pacman gummiboot?

To be certain, you are umounting and modprobing OUTSIDE of chroot, right?

I run gummiboot install, and yes, the umounting and modprobing is outside chroot.

Are you sure UEFI booted properly and succesfully?

Look at your efivars to tell you.

"ls /sys/firmware/efi/efivars"

efivars is empty. What's supposed to be in there?

Things. Things are supposed to be in there. I've never encountered that probelm before, but the good 'ol Arch Wiki explained that pretty easily.

• mkdir /mnt/efivars-temp
  • mount --bind /sys/firmware/efi/efivars /mnt/efivars-temp
  • arch-chroot /mnt
  • mount --bind /efivars-temp /sys/firmware/efi/efivars

And you will have a populated efivars and gummiboot will be happy.

I rebooted, and before running any other command, I checked efivars. There are definitely things in there now. Just to be perfectly clear, between all the modprobing and mounting, what should I do in what order to install gummiboot?

Just what you listed, or after umounting, modprobing, etc.?

So, when you are in the livedisk, efivars is populated, but when you chroot, and check it again, it is empty?

Yes, exactly that.

Then the follow my steps 3 orΒ  4 posts back. Seems like it is a bug in arch-chroot, since it only mounts up to /mnt/sys, and your efivars is farther down the tree than /sys, but arch-chroot ignores it.

Might be something I'll try when I build my PC thanks!

Let us know when you're ready to install, and we'll be there to help you if things go awry.

Thanks again, it boots up on its own just fine now.

You have Arch on your disk now? Then I call that a success! Configure, install your DE/WM, and post pictures.

For now, though, I am going to sleep. Too much stuff happened today - why can't life be simpler, more organic in its tendenciies? Ugh, either way, that's not Arch Linux talk. Glad you got it installed.

Now X is giving me shit and won't start.

I installed xorg-server and a pile of other xorg packages, xf86-video-ati, mesa, etc.

The Xorg.0.log file ends with this:

(EE) AIGLX error: Calling driver entry point failed

(EE) AIGLX: reverting to software rendering

(II) AIGLX: Screen 0 is not DRI capable

I haven't had X start up at all yet.

Could it be relevant that I have AMD's dual-graphics nonsense going on in my laptop?

What CPU is in there, does it have an Intel iGPU?

It's an AMD A8-5557M. AMD all the way in my laptop. IGPU is an 8550g.