Questions about Quad GPU Workstations

I am looking to build a Threadripper workstation for AI/Machine Learning development work. My goal is to use a 3970X and 4 GPUs. I know finding 4 30xx series GPUs is nearly impossible right now, but I was wondering if its even possible given the much larger power draws these cards are pulling along with the cooling setups they are using. I am hoping that I am not the only one looking to do this so any insights would be super helpful.

I think you would be hard pressed to run four of those GPUs on a single PSU. Reviews show that 3080s peak at just over 400W each under load, and the Threadripper, RAM and motherboard together will be another 400W. So that is 2kW. You might have a bit more headroom with 3070s, but even then I think that will exceed 1600W of the largest ATX PSU I am aware of. A server chassis with dual 1kW+ PSUs might work.

1 Like

Just like @drbsg said, you will max out even the biggest PSUs available (1.6kW) for ATX.

For servers, you may find bigger PSUs (I think I saw 2kW units from Delta Electronics).

Dual-Supply may be a bit hacky.
Maybe not:
http://phanteks.com/Revolt-Pro.html

1 Like

There’s nothing on Nvidia GPU’s requiring you to power the GPU off the same PSU as the mainboard, if you don’t care about power monitoring from anything other than nvidia-smi.

I’ve run a variety of their cards powered from CUI power supplies.

1 Like

Thanks for the insights. Power monitoring is less of a concern, so It might be possible to do dual PSUs but I do agree that its a bit hacky. Perhaps 3 is the realistic limit in a traditional case unless I can find a rack mounted enclosure, 4 GPU motherboard, as well as a server PSU for said motherboard.

1, you’re a beautiful person

2, If you’re thinking 3080/3090 they have a power limit to 2, 70 and 60 I have no idea

3, whats your power bill?

1. Haha I try :wink:
  2. Thats unfortunate. All I want to do is go fast!!
  3. Don’t have to pay for power as its part of our office rent. Not that we are trying to take advantage and run a mining farm or anything. Just trying to help my fellow devs without needing a bunch of aws p3 instances running 24/7.
1 Like

You could run your 4 GPUs off a PSU like the FSP Cannon 2000W and the rest of your computer off a second 450W/500W PSU. Search Anandtech for the word FSP.
Phanteks (and others of course) have PC cases with Dual System/PSU Support.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.