Hello everyone, I’m a bit of a n00b who’s trying to get into building a NAS because it seems both fun and useful. However, due to my low budget constraints (being a college student and all) I have some questions as to the hardware that I need for a NAS to function in a stable manner.
- FreeNAS with ZFS over multiple drives
- Buy cheap components as internals and spend more on the drives and chasis
My questions are as follows (and are mostly about ECC):
- Do I really need ECC memory? I could save a ton by just using regular.
- Which motherboards support ECC? I have found varrying responces as to weather ECC actually runs in ECC mode on ASRock MBs and now I am confused.
- What is the difference between Buffered and Unbuffered ECC and should I care?
- Should I just ditch the whole idea of building one from scratch and go with a used computer/NAS for the base instead (If so, where are good places to look)?
Thanks a ton,