Question rx 480 or 390x msi

For 390(X)s? Probably but to be safe I honestly wouldn't run it with anything under 1000W.

TBH though by the time you're thinking about getting a second card you're better of just getting a cheaper single GPU set up.

I don't think CF support should be influencing your decision here.

This. Any multi-card setup brings with it a ton of issues for not much of a performance gain all things considered (crossfire problems, heat generation, power consumption, more points of failure).

Well, as someone who runs dual R9 290s, I strongly disagree. In games were CF scaling works the performance increase is huge. However, you're always better off with a single GPU (because of possible issues) unless you're at the most powerful tier (IE Titan X) but still need more performance.

1 Like

I keep finding amazing deals on 980 ti's which outperform them both.

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/bQ648d/evga-video-card-06gp44997kr

Let me get this straight, you are choosing between 390X for 400 and 480, that is basically 95% performance for 250-300, uses less power, it is cooler, etc etc...

Well, if you're invested in the MDA capability of DX12 and VR, going 2x GPU is a sound investment. However, out of the two (390x and RX 480) I'd go with RX 480 because you won't need a new PSU and worry about heat. But for 1440p single GPU, I'd go for 390x.

that's just for refrence I think it'll be 300-320 + taxes

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/gt2K4C

that's the build I have with the 2x cards. its pretty close to 850

390X if you want :
retro HDMI port
retro DisplayPort port
no HEVC/H.265 decoding by the GPU
a power guzzler
more heat in your box
just a few fps more in very specific games.

Search this channel :

There are of course more channel's like his.

EDIT (Reference RX 480, not custom cooled.):

EDIT2 (MSI RX 480 Gaming X Review & Benchmark; shown between results of video right above.):

If you're going for a crossfire it might as well be a RX 480, but if you're set on 390x a 850watt PSU will do the job but it's gonna push the PSU at it's efficiency limit of 90% all the time but that's with a lower TDP CPU like an i7 4770S, however, with AMD FX-8350 on board you're gonna need a bigger PSU. At least go for a 950w to 1000w to give some breathing room.

I've been running a 290X and a 290 on a older 2011 motherboard with a 4930K. Ran fine on a 860W Seasonic PSU (Platinum, so first tier). When I overclocked everything to the max (1.4V on CPU, +200mV on both GPUs etc) I could trip the PSUs over power protection and the computer would shut down. But only when running Furmark on both GPUs and mPrime on the CPU. Games was fine. The computer would pull close to 1000W from the wall before shutdown. Everything watercooled, GPUs would hit 60C, CPU 80C etc. So not really something I did everyday. A good quality ~850W PSU will work.

I have a decent 1000W now (Corsair RMx) and I cannot trip the over power protection now when overclocking everything to maximum. My old 2011 MB and Ivy-E is a real power hog, with the screen turned off at idle the system still pulls over 100W from the wall. Not like a mainstream desktop system at all. Running mPrime is like 300+ Watts IIRC. Pretty much impossible with a desktop Haswell/Skylake. AMD FX would be similar, at least my max overclocked 8350 used to be. While a good 850 will work, I agree that 1000W is preferable if there is to be overclocking. And everyone overclocks right? :D

And I would buy the Rx480. Always get the new thing I'd say.

That said, I've seen some very nice deals on 390X cards recently, clearance sales and the like. Local store had the Nitro 390X at a nice price level, tempting as I've heard it might be possible to crossfire 290X and 390X.

yeh it's 410 taxes and shipping included free throws 390x 350for the 480 but none in Stock and 414+ tax and shipping for the stock 390...

If OCUK are to be believed, stock of the 480 should get better in the coming weeks.
https://techreport.com/news/30482/report-amd-shipping-100k-more-polaris-10-gpus-to-board-partners

As Gibbo himself says, that would mean that the perpetual shortage of RX 480s may come to an end in the coming weeks. This news also lines up with the expected launch of several companies' non-reference RX 480 cards soon. That's good news for both AMD and for everyone looking to buy an RX 480.

it is possible to xfire them. you just have to match the clock speeds and memory speeds. also helps is both are 8gig versions.

Hi everyone, I am on the same boat as you are here my friend. I hope you don't mind me posting this to your thread as it is pretty much the same and hopefully get more answers here.

I can get the 390x here for around £40-£50 more than what the price is for a 480. But my concern is my PSU and CPU, I am currently runninng an 8350 on a 700 PSU @1440p, des this mean I have to get a new PSU to run the 390x??

I can just repeat myself, the only AMD chips worth buying new at this point are Polaris and Fiji.

It is painful waiting for the price gouging to come to an end.

lol i waited a little over a year and a half for my 290. well worth the wait though went from xfire HD6850 to 290 and still dont have the upgrade itch. i am looking forward to what comes after vega as i will probably have a 4k screen by then. 1900x1200 master race lol.